-->
young adult book reviews & more

Lots of book events...again

So, once again, here is a brief summary of all the book events that I've been to since the last time I posted about book events!

A couple of weekends ago (that would be the weekend following BEA), I went to Books of Wonder for a signing with six different authors: Kristi Cook, Maurissa Guibord, Daniel Kirk, Gail Carson Levine, Sarah Rees Brennan, and Bianca Turetsky. Each author read a little bit from his/her most recent novel and then did a little Q&A. Sarah Rees Brennan even provided bribes prizes for audience members asking questions.

Kristi Cook, Maurissa Guibord, and Daniel Kirk
Bianca Turetsky, Gail Carson Levine, and Sarah Rees Brennan

I had a lovely time chatting with authors Bianca and Sarah (who were both a little fan-girly about sitting next to the phenomenal Gail Carson Levine), some of my favorite people over at Little, Brown, as well as James from Book Chic.

Then on June 1, I headed over to the Mulberry Street branch of the NYPL for the June Teen Author Reading Night. The awesome lineup included Susane Colasanti, Daniel Ehrenhaft, Jodi Lynn Anderson, Andisheh Nouraee, Katie Finn, Catherine Greenman, Sarah Mlynowski, Alyssa Sheinmel, Courtney Sheinmel, Emily Wing Smith, and Caissie St. Onge, all moderated by the amazing David Levithan. Each author read a short excerpt from their book, and then they all took questions from the audience.

Andisheh Nouraee, Jodi Lynn Anderson, and Daniel Ehrenhaft
Caissie St. Onge, Catherine Greenman, Katie Finn, Sarah Mlynowski, Courtney Sheinmel, Alyssa Sheinmel, Susane Colasanti, and Emily Wing Smith

I ended up staying much longer than I intended because I was so busy talking to cool people, especially including authors Courtney Sheinmel, Michael Northrop, and Susane Colasanti, editor Aimee Friedman, Mitali from Alley of Books (that's a given!), and many others in the audience. I always have so much fun at the Reading Nights because David Levithan is so entertaining and there are always interesting people to talk to.

That Saturday was a break from Very Large Events. Mitali from Alley of Books and I went all the way to Brooklyn to BookCourt to see Adele Griffin at her signing. Unfortunately, we along with author Marianna Baer were basically the only people who knew about this event, which was sad, because Adele is such a cool person. I didn't snap any pictures either, because I didn't want to wave my camera up in Adele's face from the front row. Fortunately, though, the entire evening was not a bust, as the four of us spent some quality time chatting.

The next day, I went down to Books of Wonder for another event. This one was Sarah Mlynowski's launch party for her most recent YA novel, Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have). Sarah read a pretty PG-rated scene (as her very young daughter was in attendance) and then answered a bunch of questions from the audience. For those of you who don't know, the premise for Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) was based on real experiences in Sarah's life. The rest of the novel is fiction, but it's interesting to know that these things (girl and friend in high school living without parental supervision), though not common, have happened.

Sarah Mlynowski

I had a lovely time chatting with my friends Mitali from Alley of Books and Kelsey from The Book Scout, many of the authors in attendance, including Sarah Mlynowski, Courtney Sheinmel, Susane Colasanti, Alecia Whitaker, Michael Northrop, and Kody Keplinger, the last of which has recently moved to NYC and is now among my favorite super awesome NYC people.

I feel like it's getting to that point for me that I attend so many book events that I can hardly keep them straight in my own mind (especially when I end up seeing so many people that I already know in the audience). So, I really hope that these posts aren't getting too repetitive or boring...because you can be sure that there will be lots more of these to look forward to!

3 munch(es) :

We Heart YA said...

So cool! We are definitely jealous of your book event scene in NYC.

Kelsey said...

It was great to hang out with you again, Rachael! :)

BookChic said...

It was so much fun to hang out with you at Books of Wonder!! :)

And keep these coming- I love hearing about book events!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.