-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Writing on the Wall by Wendy Lichtman

Do the Math #2: The Writing on the WallTess is just your average math loving eighth-grader until she becomes a little too interested in some graffiti at her school. Tess’s friend Sammy convinces her that the blue numbers form a sort of code, and Tess becomes determined to crack it. Unfortunately, this requires a lot of lying and some vandalizing on Tess’s part. But Tess is only concerned with finding out the message and doesn’t think about the consequences.

I found it interesting how Tess compared people and life to various math problems, but I could see the logic in it. For example, Tess’s friend Miranda’s math symbol is m, which always has a positive value, just like Miranda always sees the good in everything. But what I appreciated most about this math-obsessed girl was how she realized that her system of comparing everything to math was flawed because not everything in life can be figured out using simple steps and formulas.

I will admit that I was surprised that The Writing on the Wall was a mystery book; I thought it would be about some math geek who’s having a hard time in middle school. But I’m glad that math and mystery were combined to create this novel, which I highly enjoyed reading. Tess’s character is funny and very logical (in all things math), something I can appreciate and relate too. I also liked how Tess seemed to know how to do the right thing but was clueless in others, such as the world of boys.

If you are looking for a light and fast read, The Writing on the Wall is a good choice. I recommend it for younger readers, but even math lovers in higher grades will enjoy this book. Look for it when it’s released in July.

Rating: 3.5

Review copy from publisher HarperCollins

5 munch(es) :

Steph said...

Great review Scarlet :D Book sounds interesting!

Liviania said...

Wait until she discovers Calculus. Now that's math with real world connotations.

Anonymous said...

This book sounds interesting. It's definitely going on my TBR list.
If you like the kind of genre The Missing Girl is in then you probably would like the book. The book just seemed to drag and was hard to get into, thats why I gave it a 3. But i'm sure if this is your kind of genre you'll enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Rachel,
So glad you let me know about your wonderful site. I appreciate the review of my new book! best,
Wendy

Readingjunky said...

Just finished reading this as well. Lichtman's series is sure to popular with middle grade readers.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.