-->
young adult book reviews & more

How to Be Bad by E. Lockhart, Sarah Mlynowski, and Lauren Myracle

How to Be BadJesse, Vicks, and Mel are all residents of not-so-appropriately-named Niceville, Florida. Jesse is fed up with her mother and just wants to get away. Vicks, the wild one, misses her boyfriend who left for college two weeks ago. Mel is the rich but sweet girl who just wants to make friends. Somehow these three coworkers end up on a weekend road trip. Jesse provides the car, Mel has the cash, and Vicks encourages the spontaneity and excitement. Though the destination is Miami, pit stops and detours will be made, leading them into disasters or unexpected solutions. This road trip will alter their friendships and even the way they view life.

Though I have previously read novels by only one-third of the fabulous authors who wrote How to Be Bad, I knew from the first moment I heard that E. Lockhart, Sarah Mlynowski, and Lauren Myracle were writing a novel together that their book would be mandatory reading material for me. And I most definitely wasn’t disappointed. I loved how each chapter was told from one of the girl’s point-of-view (even though I did get confused a couple of times). Jesse, Vicks, and Mel were each wonderfully crafted and developed; I loved how they were so unique and complemented each other. The plot was a perfect mix of romance, friendship and personal issues, emotional realizations, and even physical danger. I really enjoyed the random details too, because it made the story all the more realistic. If I had one problem with How to Be Bad, it was that Jesse’s religious fervor didn’t always seem to fit with her character until the end of the story. However, this didn’t diminish the fact that How to Be Bad was simply a fantastic novel.

How to Be Bad has a little bit of something for everyone, and I most definitely recommend it. In fact, I enjoyed this book so much that I am motivated to read up on the two-thirds of this author team whose works I have not read yet (Sarah Mlynowski and Lauren Myracle, I confess). If you’ve ever enjoyed a novel by any one of these awesome authors or are up for a great read, then get How to Be Bad. I promise you won’t regret it!

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from author E. Lockhart

26 munch(es) :

Gabrielle said...

I loved "How to Be Bad." I think E. Lockhart is one of the premiere YA authors right now... her work is so intelligent and funny and true all at the same time... and Myracle is pretty awesome too.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book. I had previously read books from all three, and so was VERY excited to read How to Be Bad. Since Sarah only has a YA series out right now, there's no need for me to suggest something by her, lol. For Lauren though, I'd recommend all her books, but especially Rhymes with Witches, the prequel to which should be out this month (it's called Bliss).

YA Book Realm said...

Yeah I have read their work too. But I will have to check them out. This book sounds really good.

Kelsey said...

I also really loved this novel! I had only read an adult novel by Sarah which was alright but since then I have read a Lockhart book and I can't wait to read more of her's! I am still trying to get my hands on Lauren's work though. I'm still curious as too who is who though. I know Mel is Sarah's work but I'm not sure. I think Myracle might be Jesse and Vicks is from Lockhart.

Kyle said...

I nominated you! To read the rules go to here: http://bookreviewmaniac.blogspot.com/2008/08/who-me-nominated.html

Keri Mikulski said...

Loved this book.. Three of my fave authors. I'm with you Kelsey. I'm trying to figure out who is who. :)

Mrs. Magoo said...

I keep meaning to get a copy of this book...:)

sweetmelissa818 said...

I have love for E. Lockhart! I really want to read this book!

asdfjkl; said...

I have yet to read any book with a road trip in it so I just may have to get a copy.

Amanda said...

I loved How To Be Bad. It was SO easy to relate to.

Shalonda said...

I love when authors come together and make an awesome story. Can't wait to read this one.

Liviania said...

*sighs* I want to read this one terribly, but my library has never gotten it and I can't afford hc. I was supposed to get a review copy but it never came.

Brooke Reviews said...

Ah, this one sounds really interesting how it was written by 3 different authors. Very cool. :)

katayoun said...

i didn't like this book all that much, which was very strange cause i really like all three author ALOT!

tynlyd said...

This sounds good. I'm not sure if I'll like a book written by more than one person, but it sounds good.

donnas said...

Sounds great. Those are 3 great authors put together. It will be interesting to see how it works out.

Mandy said...

Wow, 'Niceville, Florida'. Haha, I live in Florida, but definitely not one named Niceville. It's too hot.
Anyways, great review. I've seen this book around a lot as well. Sounds really good.

Genevieve said...

I keep hearing really good things about this book. I've read stuff from both Sarah Mlynowski and E. Lockhart.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of this book before, but it doesn't really sound like one that would be one of my favorites, but, who knows?
lizzieland@optonline.net

Shooting Stars Mag said...

Great review. It sounds like a ton of fun and I really need to read this....I do have it though!

-Lauren
lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

Korianne said...

I love E. Lockhart and Lauren, but I have never read Sarah's work. I don't own it though so it will have to wait. I recently read Let it Snow with Lauren's work in it and I love how she works with other authors.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you want a book just for its title, and this is definitely one of those times.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This book has such an awesome writing team.

Anonymous said...

I like the title of this book!

Michelle Kuo said...

The fact that it's written by 3 great authors is really making me want to read this!

Paradox said...

This sounds like a lot of fun and I really want to read it!!! Especially since it's a road trip novel, and with a title like that and those authors it's sure to be good!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.