-->
young adult book reviews & more

52 Reasons to Hate My Father by Jessica Brody

Lexington Larrabee is one of those girls: filthy rich, insanely spoiled, cares more about clothes than current affairs. But because her father is Richard Larrabee, the CEO of Larrabee Media, she was born into it and can’t help the way she is—at least, that’s how Lexi sees it. She loves her life of luxury, but she’ll be even happier when she turns eighteen so she can claim her hefty trust fund. But things aren’t exactly going according to plan for Lexi, because when the big day rolls around, instead of receiving a check for twenty five million dollars, she gets an ultimatum: agree to work a different low-wage job every week for a year or lose everything. Lexi can’t fathom the idea of being cut off, so she reluctantly agrees to this awful scheme. As if having to work humiliating jobs under while being babysat by her father’s obnoxious yet rather attractive new intern wasn’t bad enough, Lexi has been hearing some strange things about her family that are making her question everything she knows about her mother and father. It’s going to be a struggle, but Lexi might just have it in her to confront her fears, learn to love the people around her, and succeed in her own way.

I have been eagerly awaiting 52 Reasons to Hate My Father since I heard about it, for nearly a year in fact. Not only is the concept of this story unique and amusing, but I have been consistently impressed with Brody in her earlier YA books, including The Karma Club and My Life Undecided. Thankfully, Brody does not disappoint with her newest novel, faithfully delivering a good balance of hilarity, romance, and touching moments. Lexi is not initially the most likable protagonist, but she will still manage to win readers over with her authenticity and unique take on every situation; though her wealth and situation set her apart from most people, her personal struggles are sure to resonate with most readers. I loved Brody’s characteristic humor and wonderful character development, but what I loved even more was the plot twist that I never saw coming. Though I wouldn’t say that 52 Reasons to Hate My Father is quite as hilarious as My Life Undecided or as sweet as The Karma Club, I can confidently say that it is a completely satisfying and worthwhile read.

52 Reasons to Hate My Father is sure to be enjoyed by fans of Brody’s earlier novels, Past Perfect by Leila Sales, Paisley Hanover Kisses and Tells by Cameron Tuttle, and Into the Wild Nerd Yonder by Julie Halpern.

Rating: 4.25

Review copy from publisher Macmillan

1 munch(es) :

Liviania said...

I liked this one too. Lexi's growth as a character was amazing.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.