-->
young adult book reviews & more

Paper Towns by John Green

http://thebookmuncher.blogspot.com/2009/05/looking-for-alaska-by-john-green.htmlPaper TownsQuentin Jacobs has always loved his beautiful and wild next-door-neighbor Margo Roth Spiegelman. Their childhood friendship has all but disappeared by high school, yet Q is content to observe Margo from afar. Then one night, Margo climbs through Q’s window, inviting him to join her on a vengeful adventure, and, ignoring practicality, Q accepts. However, the next day, it becomes apparent that Margo has disappeared. Worried and confused, Q is desperate to find Margo. But as he follows the obscure clues his mysterious Margo has left for him, Q realizes just how little he knows about the girl he thought he knew so well. In this wonderfully written novel, Green explores the connections between friends and what it means to be alive.

Paper Towns was a fantastic mix of mystery, suspense, and profundity, and all in a completely natural way. I loved the flow of this story; all the separate memories, clues, and dreams were seamlessly interwoven. The characters, their wants, feelings, and actions were very realistic, as was, surprisingly, the unique plot. My opinions of this novel may be slightly skewed because this was just my kind of story; it’s got pranks and mischief, a search that leads to deep questions about identity, and a little bit of romance. I especially liked the mix of entertainment with emotional depth. Having a deeper meaning always adds a little extra to a story, and I felt the one in Paper Towns was only magnified by its nearly universal relevance. This novel shows the dangers of assuming you know someone better than you actually do and disputes the fine line between selfishness and being true to yourself. If there was one fault within this novel, it would be that Margo was so difficult to understand, even after the story was completed, although this could also have been calculated in to increase Margo’s enigma. I’m tempted to say Paper Towns was pretty close to perfect, but some readers may dislike some of the repetitiveness and lack of extremely high action in the plot. Overall, though, I immensely enjoyed this well-written and thought-provoking novel.

Paper Towns was a great combination of the best aspects of literature, although in moderation. It will be enjoyed by all readers, because it’s about things that actually matter to teens; fans of Maureen Johnson, Alyson Noël, and even Ellen Hopkins will also appreciate Green’s realism. I look forward to reading Green’s other novels, Looking for Alaska and An Abundance of Katherines.

Rating: 4.75

Review copy from Amazon Vine

8 munch(es) :

Anonymous said...

I haven't read An Abundance of Katherines, but I can tell you that Lookng for Alaska is absolutely fantastic. I think you'll really enjoy it.

Zoe said...

I have read all three of his books, and they are fantastic, John Green is a magnificent author, though he doesn't think so. Um, another book by him is Let it Snow; he co-wrote it with Lauren Myracle and Maureen Johnson

Emily said...

I want this book soo bad. I can not wait for it! I pointed it out to my mom SPECIFICALLY in the book stores when we were going christmas shopping for my brothers. Ahhh I need to have it!

Simply_Megan said...

I just finished this book today and thought it was great! In my opinion, it's John Green's best or at least on the same caliber as Looking For Alaska.

alexis said...

These seem like really good books, the way you reviewed them! I'm actually going to be done with a series soon, hopefully, and I might pick up these books! Good review!

Em said...

ohh, i love his books. :)

Yan said...

Umm hmmm I need to read his books! At least one~ Somehow, somewhere, I will read his book, hopefully...

Lindsay said...

I'm reading this book now and really enjoying it. Haven't read Abundance yet, but liked Looking for Alaska just as much. Has anyone read that one? How was it?

newyorkwords.net

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.