-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Poison Diaries by Maryrose Wood

The Poison Diaries (The Poison Diaires)For the longest time, it’s just been Jessamine Luxton and her father, a skilled apothecary. Her mother died long ago, and when her father is away to heal people, she is alone except for the plants in the gardens. She wishes more than anything to have a companion, but when Weed arrives, little does she know what kind of companion he’ll turn out to be. Weed is a shy and mysterious boy who knows little more about himself than others do. He has a strange knowledge of plants that fascinates both Jessamine and her father, but in different ways. Jessamine wants to know Weed, but her father wants to know Weed’s knowledge—and will stop at nothing to get it, even if it means tragedy ensues.

The Poison Diaries has reminded my why Wood is one of my favorite authors. I loved her clever humor in Why I Let My Hair Grow Out, but her writing in The Poison Diaries is completely different, in a good way of course. Mainly from young Jessamine’s perspective, Wood’s writing takes on the detailed mindset of a hopeful botanist. It’s fascinating to see inside Jessamine’s mind; her curiosity and attention to nature make her seem so innocent and likable—and unfortunately, also the perfect victim. I could not forget this story of great romance and tragedy after I read it. I attribute this all to Wood’s skill. The development of her main characters is superb. They are all so vivid with their fears and desires. The inclusion of Weed’s interesting ability is just another plus. Wood doesn’t need an aura of the mysterious and supernatural to boost her stories; her writing is enough to draw the reader in. I fell in love with this story, so I will be extremely disappointed if there is not a sequel because it will make this story’s ending so unsatisfying.

Those who enjoyed Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder, the Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare, and The Abhorsen Chronicles by Garth Nix will not want to miss The Poison Diaries.

Rating: 4.75

Review copy from Amazon Vine

4 munch(es) :

Cass said...

This one is up next in my TBR pile (once I end the week and so too my reading ban :\). If I am not satisfied with the ending, we can form a group and barrage Wood with protests for a sequel! Hehe. Sounds good though. I'm excited to get reading!

CupCake Girl said...

I'm currently reading this!

E.J. Stevens said...

I know what you mean about the ending. I've heard that there will be a sequel, but is so difficult to wait! Great review. :)

xx,
E.J
From the Shadows

YA Book Queen said...

This one sounds wonderful! Amazing review,

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.