-->
young adult book reviews & more

Oh. My. Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs

Oh. My. Gods.At her home in beautiful southern California, Phoebe Castro has a lot going for her. She’s a star cross-country athlete and is lined up to get a scholarship to USC, her dream school, a long as she maintains a B-average in school. But her long-standing plans are shattered when Phoebe discovers her mother is getting married to a man who is practically a stranger and they are moving to a small Greek island. Now Phoebe has to attend an extremely rigorous and exclusive school. Of course, Phoebe only attends this school because her new stepfather is the headmaster and not because she meets the sole qualification, which she doesn’t: being a descendant of a Greek god. It’s easy to see Phoebe’s new life isn’t working out so well for her. Phoebe realizes she has to focus on acquiring that USC scholarship is she’ll ever make it back to civilization, if she can only keep her grades up, make the track and cross-country team, avoid her evil stepsister and said relative’s eviler friend, keep a mythical secret from her friends back home, keep her new friends, and not get distracted by an attractive long-distance runner. But of course, it’s all easier said than done.

Oh. My. Gods. is a very fun and enjoyable story that brings ancient Greek mythology into present day. As a fan of mythology, I loved the idea behind this novel. The story starts off strongly, and the major plotline, Phoebe’s main story, is completely nicely. However, there were a few subplots and smaller details that were lost by the end of the novel. Phoebe’s character was well-sculpted, realistic, and easy to relate to, especially her struggles with moving halfway across the world; however, I can’t say the same of any of the minor characters. Most of these characters were simply introduced and not developed enough for me to gain any sort of attachment to them. In fact, I found myself skeptical of some of these character’s actions, especially Griffin’s and Stella’s. I felt that Oh. My. Gods. was good; it just could’ve been better. Despite these minor problems, I immensely enjoyed this creative, romantic, and witty story.

Oh. My. Gods. is a fantastic reading choice if you like mythology or if you liked Cruel Summer by Alyson Noël. I eagerly await the sequel, Goddess Boot Camp.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from personal collection

6 munch(es) :

Lenore Appelhans said...

Yes, looking foward to Goddess Boot Camp too!

Jessica Burkhart said...

Loved that book! :)

Anonymous said...

Loved this book too, and can't wait for the sequel either! :)

Wall-to-wall books said...

Hi, found a link to your blog on "Pop culture junkie" Thought I would check you out! Some good books on here, I'll be back!

Carolina said...

I really liked this book and I can't wait for Goddess Boot Camp as well!

Steph said...

Gah, I didn't like this one. Weakly plotted and all over the place, IMO. But to each their own :) I'll probably be reading GBC, too, if only because I wanna know if the sequel picks up. Nice review :)

Steph

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.