-->
young adult book reviews & more

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

ShiverFor Grace, wolves have always held a certain fascination, a certain magic, particularly her yellow-eyed wolf that she’s watched for six years. Little does she know that he’s been watching her too, her protector from afar. Little does she know that her wolf doesn’t actually disappear for the summer like she thought, but spends the warmest season as the human he once was, Sam. Fate brings Grace and Sam together, but they must fight against all odds to stay that way. When humanity is as fragile as a drop in temperature, Grace and Same must find away to protect themselves and their love from the forces that threaten to tear them apart.

Stifvater weaves a fantastically beautiful paranormal romance in Shiver. This novel’s strength by far is its unique and alluring plot with characters that are surprisingly realistic despite the unusually circumstances in which they’re placed. Both Maggie and Sam are outcasts in their own way, each clinging to a seemingly impossible, at least in their present, remnant of the past. I think that’s what makes them so perfect together and so interesting to read about, that and the fact that they are so obviously in love, even when they’re two separate species. The reader will get swept up in the exciting world Stiefvater has created, both for the mysticism inspired by Sam’s paranormal species, which Stiefvater explains remarkably well, and hope that these star-crossed lovers will survive the winter, literally. This novel is so much more than just a really good romance, though. It’s about finding identity, doing the right thing even when it’s the hardest, and the everlasting power of love. Shiver is the kind of book I love to get lost in because its story is just so sweet, sexy, romantic, and heartwarming; overall, it’s a book that will make all readers sigh in happiness.

Shiver will be enjoyed by all teen readers, particularly fans of Sea Change by Aimee Friedman, Evermore by Alyson Noël, Wicked Lovely and Ink Exchange both by Melissa Marr, Need by Carrie Jones, Twilight by Stephenie Meyer, and The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan. I can’t wait to read Stiefvater’s other novels, Lament and Ballad, and whatever else she has to come.

Rating: 4.75

Review copy from publisher Scholastic

13 munch(es) :

Anonymous said...

<3 this book. ^-^ Glad you did, too.

Anna Claire said...

I've seen a lot on this book and it looks great!

Tales of Whimsy said...

OMG
I'm DYING to read this.
Lament is wonderful! Run out and read it.

Rebs @ Book-Rants said...

On my to be read list, I'm glad it's getting such good reviews

Eleni said...

Great review! I'm actually reading Shiver right now, so I'll be reviewing soon!

Janssen said...

Oh, I can't WAIT! I have heard nothing but great things about this book.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I definitely want to grab this one soon... sounds like it combines pretty much everything I love in a story! Great review!

Dani. said...

Maggie has a sequel to this book called Linger and its released 2010. FYI. =)

Anonymous said...

This is about two books down in my TBR pile. Can't wait.

Rachael Stein said...

Dani-

Thanks :) I'm very excited for Linger. I actually didn't know there would be a sequel until way after I wrote this review.

Godlybandgeek07 said...

Great review!
I niminated you for an award.
http://booksaremybff.blogspot.com/

yaReads said...

I read this last week and I all I can say is ... WOW!

Maggie is shaping up to be one of the best authors of YA paranormal stories around. Her characters are exceptionally real, and her stories are totally engaging. I couldn't put it down.

Unknown said...

excellent book! recomend to any other chicks out there with a taste for supernatural/romance and all that. :P

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.