-->
young adult book reviews & more

Dark Secrets 1: Legacy of Lies & Don’t Tell by Elizabeth Chandler

Dark Secrets 1: Legacy of Lies and Don't TellIn Legacy of Lies, Megan is invited to stay with her uptight and judgmental grandmother. It’s bad enough that Megan doesn’t want to be there in the first place, but it’s also clear that she isn’t entirely welcome there either. When strange nightmares that seem more like memories start to coincide with rumors of a family secret, Megan wants to dig deeper and find out the truth. Unfortunately, the truth may have deadly consequences. In Don’t Tell, Lauren finally revisits her godmother in the town where her mother drowned seven years earlier. The place is plagued by memories, including the most unpleasant one, as well as something more. But as soon as Lauren settles in, she is the object of strange events—the same ones that occurred before her mother’s death. It turns out, that drowning seven years ago may not have been an accident—and Lauren may be next.

Dark Secrets 1 contains two separate but very similar stories about the past, supernatural events in the present, and the lies running through all of this. In a nutshell, these stories are paranormal mysteries with a hint of romance. The first part of this equation, the paranormal mystery, works well for both stories. Chandler’s skillful writing draws readers quickly into all the unusual situations she creates. What I didn’t like as much was the romance. In both of the stories, the heroine predictably ends up falling in love with a guy, but for me, this deep love was a little hard to believe as it was always so sudden and more abstract than concrete. The attraction was obvious, but it doesn’t translate that quickly into something so profound. Nevertheless, the stories in Dark Secrets 1 are highly interesting and enjoyable for their supernatural elements.

Dark Secrets 1 will be enjoyed by fans of Kissed by an Angel, also by Chandler, Dark Visions by L.J. Smith, and Possessed by Kate Cann. Personally, I liked Kissed by an Angel better, maybe because I bought into that romance, but Dark Secrets 1 is still a great read.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from publisher Simon & Schuster UK

14 munch(es) :

Okapi said...

Thanks for the review! This book looks intense, and I really enjoy the cover.

EmilyJoy said...

This book sounds fantastic. I can't wait to check it out!

My Life With Books - Jennifer K Jovus said...

Excellent review! I really liked Dark Visions so i think I will check this book out, the for the recommendation.

kjovus@gmail.com

donnas said...

Great review. Sounds like a really good book. Definitely going to have to check it out.

Patricia's Particularity said...

I've been wanting to read this series for some time - your review makes me want to read it more. Great review. Love your blog too!!

misskallie2000 said...

Great review. I have read other reviews and they were all good also.

Thanks for the opportunity to enter.

misskallie2000 at yahoo dot com

Eliza said...

I love all your reviews! And this books sounds great! Thanks for all the hard work!

X
Eliza

Wrighty said...

I haven't heard much about this book before but it sounds good! I'll be looking for it now since I like the supernatural theme. Great review! :)

Pokadots1121 said...

THis sounds like a good paranormal book. Your review was great and now I really want to try it!

M.A.D. said...

Mary D

Super review - now you've got me eager to read this!! Going on my TBR list asap :D

Kristina said...

Great review! I can’t wait to read this one! =) I love how you included that fans of other books might enjoy this one (I personally loved Dark Visions!)

Princess Z said...

Awesome Review! Can't wait to read it sounds like my kind of Book :D

Unknown said...

Great review! The book looks very good.

Nikki said...

Great Review! I sooo wanna read these books even more now!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.