-->
young adult book reviews & more

Fly on the Wall by E. Lockhart

Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw EverythingNonconformity is rule at the Manhattan High School for the Arts, better known as Ma-Ha, but Gretchen Yee doesn’t fit in (even with her fire engine red hair) – she’s only ordinary. She’s got one best friend names Katya, a secret crush on Titus, a whole bunch of junk in her room (though she wouldn’t call it that), and a love for drawing cartoon-style. But with one ill-made wish, Gretchen has a lot more to worry about than her parents’ divorce: she’s somehow been transformed into a housefly in the boys’ locker room, of all places. While Gretchen’s trapped there, she learns all sorts of nifty facts about the male anatomy as well as what lies behind their physical appearances.

Fly on the Wall was truly an enjoyable book for me to read. Gretchen’s character is very real; she deals with problems girls go through every day (except when she’s a fly of course!) such a boy and friendship troubles. It also helps that Gretchen’s reactions to the world around her and her experiences as a fly were hilarious. Lockhart has a way of slipping significant messages into her writing while making the story witty and fun to read, and Fly on the Wall is no different.

While I did not like Fly on the Wall as much as I liked her more recent novel, The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks, I did enjoy the story nonetheless. I recommend this book if you are looking for something short and sweet.

Rating: 4.5

Review copy from BookDivas

8 munch(es) :

Anonymous said...

That sounds quite good -- thanks for the recommendation!

Alea said...

Ha! I've read several reviews of this book and this is the most convincing yet! I think I'm really going to like this character. Junk in the room=me. And the drawing! Love it!

Amee said...

I agree! Frankie was better, but I still loved this one. ;)

Rachel said...

ooh, i read this book :) it was sooo fun, and well written :D

Liv said...

Yeah, I agree that The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks was better. This still was a decent book though. Great review!

Anonymous said...

this is a good book to read and do a project on

dina said...

i hate people who read books

Anonymous said...

all rich people are stuck up

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.