-->
young adult book reviews & more

You Know Where to Find Me by Rachel Cohn

You Know Where to Find MeBeautiful Laura and chubby Miles are sister-cousins, cousins by blood but as close as sisters. That is, until adolescence, when perfect Laura ditches Miles for more popular friends, and outcast Miles is dubbed “8 Mile.” But during Laura’s last year of high school, the cousins reconnected over a shared love of getting high. Miles thought she had gotten Laura back; she didn’t know how far they really were until Laura commits suicide. Miles now finds herself lost, not knowing who to turn to or what to care about. You Know Where to Find Me follows a struggling Miles as she tries to figure out how life will go on.

I found You Know Where to Find Me a confusing novel at best. In all honesty, I liked the first and last chapters but pretty much nothing in between. Miles’ character was very confusing, and I didn’t feel that the rest of the characters were developed enough, especially Miles’ parents. I also never really felt the connection between Laura and Miles that should’ve been there. The novel follows Miles’ life, but I often felt myself thinking, “Well, so what?” You Know Where to Find Me lacks a certain something that could make it a really great novel, and I regret to say that this book greatly disappointed me. I originally expected this novel to be similar to other spectacular novels dealing with death and suicide such as The Day I Killed James by Catherine Ryan Hyde, Saving Zoë by Alyson Noël, Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin, and Freeze Frame by Heidi Ayarbe, but You Know Where to Find Me unfortunately failed at this.

I’m sorry to say that You Know Where to Find Me is probably the first book I’ve read that I don’t recommend at all (not including school-required novels). This book was just too disappointing.

Rating: 1.0

Review copy from library

6 munch(es) :

cat said...

This is sad to hear because ever since I saw this book over on Teen Book Review it has been on my wishlish. However it's in hardcover and Canadian hardcover prices aren't pretty and so I have refrained from picking it up. I might wait and see if my library ever gets it. They do have other Rachel Cohn books, so maybe.

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's so sad that you didn't like it. I really enjoyed this novel, and thought it did a good job but I haven't read many books about death and suicide, so perhaps when I read those other books you mentioned, I might change my mind.

But, as for right now, I did really love the novel.

Amanda said...

Ohh.. it looked so intriguing. Though it is hard to construct a book on suicide. You have to give her props for trying.

Anonymous said...

Wow.... I'm sorry you didn't like this book. I don't know if I will get around to pick it up because I have lots of books to read. Did you expect more because it was Rachel Cohn?

Josette said...

Hi, this sounds like a really good book! I'm trying to find it at some online store to buy it...don't think it's available in my country.

Cool blog, by the way! :D

Nicolette S. said...

I really found myself wanting to know more about Laura and a more in depth look into why she ended up committing suicide. The book was okay, I just felt that I was just left with a lot of questions after reading it.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.