-->
young adult book reviews & more

My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent

My Soul to Take (Harlequin Teen)Something is not right with Kaylee Cavanaugh. For nearly as long as she can remember, there have been instances where she has been somehow compelled to scream because of a horrible feeling she gets about some person—a person who then dies. And without fail, all of Kaylee’s premonitions have come true. Kaylee doesn’t want to know why these strange things keep happening to her; she only wishes they would go away because she’s tired of being the freak in the family. But things do quite smooth over when Kaylee catches the eye of Nash, the most popular guy in school. And when beautiful young girls start dropping dead for no reason, Kaylee’s secret compulsion to scream is at risk of being exposed. All the Kaylee knows for sure is that something sinister and probably supernatural is at work, and since she’s the only one who’s aware of the next victim, she’s got to do something to stop it.

My Soul to Take is a paranormal novel filled with danger, mystery, secrets, and romance. I was primarily interested in this book because I loved Vincent’s storytelling in Stray and because I’d never read about banshees or bean sidhes as Irish folktales call them. As fascinating and unique I found Vincent’s take on paranormal beings and the afterlife, and as sweet Kaylee and Nash’s relationship was, there was something about this novel that didn’t quite flow for me. Firstly, Nash’s dedication to Kaylee was suspicious to me; when reading, I had a nagging feeling that Nash was hiding something even after he revealed Kaylee’s true identity. Kaylee’s character was slightly more believable, but her acceptance of the fact that she wasn’t human came a little too quickly. For the most part, though, this wasn’t a huge issue, and I quite enjoyed this creative paranormal mystery and look forward to learning more about Kaylee’s abilities and history in the sequel, My Soul to Save.

This novel will be enjoyed by fans of Stray by Rachel Vincent and Dead is the New Black by Marlene Perez.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from Amazon Vine

16 munch(es) :

ExtremeReader said...

There is an award for you at my site!
http://extremereaderbookreviews.blogspot.com

Ellz said...

Good interview. I am glad to hear it had various paranormal elements, but if it didn't flow well, that could be bad. Thanks for being honest.

Nikki in Niagara said...

I hadn't read any of Vincent before but I thought this was fabulous, especially the banshee aspect, a very unique element to see in a paranormal story after all the vampires and werewolves overload!

Amanda Leigh said...

I love her Shifter series as well and have been curious about this one. Thanks for the honest review!

donnas said...

Great review. I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the new one.

CrystalGB said...

Great review. Sounds like a wonderful book.

Cherie J said...

Sounds like my kind of story. I love anything relating to the Sidhe.

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you liked MSTT. I haven't read any of this series yet, but I am a lover of Rachael's writing. She's amazing. Loved your review. And what a great idea.

Jamie said...

Thanks for the honest review!! I am looking forward to reading this for my self!!

Persephone said...

Sounds like a book I wanna read~

BoOkFaErY said...

I loved this book! Can't wait to read the sequel!

Linda Henderson said...

This is a new author for me so I appreciate all the information I can get on her books. This does sound like a book I would be interested in reading.

Pamk said...

Great review and I agree Nash may be hiding something. I thing the reason Kaylee belived so soon was she had to know she wasn't normal. I think things happening like that would tend to make you believe quicker lol.

Meliam said...

I love the Shifters Series and I really enjoyed this one too! Can't wait to read the next one in the series.

E.J. Stevens said...

"My Soul to Take is a paranormal novel filled with danger, mystery, secrets, and romance." Definitely my kind of book! ;)
xx

Jason said...

This book looks like a winner. Thanks :)

Jase
vslavetopassionv@aol.com

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.