-->
young adult book reviews & more

Distant Waves: a Novel of the Titanic by Suzanne Weyn

A Novel Of The Titanic (Distant Waves)Five sisters, daughters of the famed psychic Maude Taylor, grow up in unusual circumstances. They make their home in Spirit Vale, a small and unique town in which a high concentration of clairvoyants and those with the “gift” also reside. Despite their shared last name, the five sisters are quite different. Beautiful Mimi, the oldest, yearns to claim a place in high society while also internally struggling with the truth of her heritage. She, along with her youngest sister Blythe, believes their mother’s psychic business is just a load of nonsense. Naïve Blythe, similarly to Mimi, wants to experience the world through the eyes of the rich. Twins Emma and Amelie seem to be following in their mother’s footsteps. And rational Jane is just trying to hold the family together and make scientific sense of it all. But all five sisters are fated to board the doomed Titanic. It is a voyage that will test their beliefs, threaten their lives, and irrevocably alter their courses forever.

Distant Waves is interesting and well written enough, but I just could not get much into the story. I found the intersection of science and the supernatural quite intriguing, and in enjoyed the incorporation of several key historical figures such as the acclaimed scientist Tesla and the magician and escape artist Harry Houdini. Weyn’s writing has continually frustrated me, particularly in the endings of Reincarnation by The Bar Code Tattoo, and since she is a good writer, I keep hoping that the nest story will be better, but Distant Waves was just a huge downward slide to me. There are some commendable parts of this novel, such as its researched historical accuracy and Weyn’s skilled manipulation of each sister’s story, but unfortunately, that just wasn’t good enough. Distant Waves lacked something to it, and I’m not quite sure what, to capture my interest and bring the story together. It also didn’t help that the unequal amounts of information were given about each sister, as Jane is the narrator and her interactions with her different siblings vary. It’s also so disappointing to me that Weyn certainly is a capable writer but lacks in storytelling skills because she has such unique ideas.

Readers who enjoy Weyn’s writing, particularly in Reincarnation, may also enjoy Distant Waves. I don’t think I will be reading any more of Weyn’s writing as it has continued to let me down.

Rating: 2.5

Review copy from publisher Scholastic

7 munch(es) :

Anna said...

Sorry this one was disappointing. Sounds like an interesting story, though.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Thao said...

I hate it when a book sounds so good but turns out to be the opposite : (

Summer said...

hmmm not good. I think I read another review of this and they felt like you did.

Janssen said...

Oh, I didn't realize this was the Reincarnation author (haven't read that either, but I've seen it a lot).

Anyway, glad to know I can skip this :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you didn't like it. It's in my tbr pile so I hope I like it.

Anonymous said...

This book was great dispite what the other people think. I personally enjoyed how the author put facts and fiction together and how strong Jane and Thad's relashonship is.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Its millie, I think this book is great dispite what all of you said, it's romantic, exciting and sasd all in one book. This was her best masterpiece yet, and I highly reccomend it to tweens looking for a good book.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.