-->
young adult book reviews & more

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall (Book 1)It always happens like this. There’s always someone at Sophie Mercer’s new school that she feels the need to help. Ever since she came into her powers three years ago, she’s been able to. Of course, that doesn’t mean she should, because Sophie’s spells have a habit of working—too well. When Sophie’s love spell causes a minor catastrophe at the school prom, her estranged warlock father is the one who decides her punishment. Now Sophie has to move again, this time to Hecate Hall, an isolated reform school for the wayward Prodigium, the witches, faeries, and shapeshifters who’ve broken the rules. Sophie is told she needs to be at Hex Hall for her own protection, but the longer she stays, the less she thinks that’s worth. After all, how safe could the school be from age old threats like societies determined to exterminate all Prodigium? And when students start being attacked by a mysterious predator, it becomes clear that Hex Hall is in need of a little extra protection. Sophie finds herself working feverishly to solve this mystery, to save potential victims and her only friend’s reputation, in spite of the threat it poses to her.

Hex Hall, though not especially original or amazing, is nonetheless a fun and enjoyable novel. There’s no doubt that this book has supernatural elements, but Hawkins keeps things interesting by intermingling different magical species and giving them personality. To me, it seems just a shame that Hex Hall wasn’t publishing earlier; I perhaps would’ve praised it more. However, because I’ve read so many similar storylines, the brilliance of this one is a little dimmed. One thing that I can praise for sure regardless of my literary background is Hawkins’ pacing of this novel. The reader is immediately brought into the story, which is evenly spread throughout the book instead of having the main action crammed into the last few pages. Of course, I don’t mind that Hawkins saved a few secrets and betrayals for the end, because she did it in a way that flows and it’s part of what makes this story so interesting. Overall, Hex Hall is an entertaining and solid debut novel sure to please readers.

Hex Hall will be enjoyed by fans of Firespell by Chloe Neill, Fallen by Lauren Kate, Revealers by Amanda Marrone, and the Blue Bloods series by Melissa de la Cruz. I greatly look forward to the continuation of this story.

Rating: 4.25

Review copy from publisher Disney-Hyperion

19 munch(es) :

Allie said...

It is sad when a book comes out at the wrong time. I feel like this would have been far more successful if it had appeared closer to the release of Harry Potter. That being said, I do think it will reach out to those readers who miss that kind of magical world.

Wonderful review.

Miss Remmers said...

Great review! I really appreciate your honesty. Hex Hall is at the top of my "want" list and I've heard nothing but great reviews. It's refreshing to read a review such as this.

Thank you!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I love the sound of this book and would love to read it!

Maria said...

Hex Hall is on my wishlist, it sounds really good :D The cover is just super cool! Great review btw :)

Ashley said...

I really want to read this one. Great review!

YA Book Queen said...

It sounds pretty good! Great review, :)

Susan said...

I only gave this review the *slightest* of skims, because I just got this one from the publisher yesterday. I'm excited to read it and come back to compare notes!

holdenj said...

The title attracted me to the book at first and it certainly sounds great! I know what you mean about when books are released, sometimes certain genres seem to be bunched up.

Ellz said...

Great review. I am excited to read this, even though the idea behind the story has already been done. Thanks for the review. Glad it was still a fun read.

Tasha said...

This sounds like such a fun and a great book for a rainy day. Great review! I can't wait to read it.

Lena1xoxo said...

Great review! I'm sad that it wasn't released sooner so you could enjoy it more. Even though it wasn't very original, I'm glad you still liked it.

April (BooksandWine) said...

Fantastic review! I haven't read any of the books you mentioned at the bottom so hopefully that won't taint my view of Hex Hall, as I won't have read something similar.

CrystalGB said...

Great review. Sounds good.

Unknown said...

this book sounds goood :)

Nina Cook said...

It is so sad when you just know that "If only I had read this before. . ." you would have like it more! For me it was the Lloyd Alexander "Taran" books. I think if I would have read them before the Narnia books I probably would have liked them better. . . but then I might not have liked Narnia as much. I do not wish I had read them before Narnia, but you always have to wonder "what if".

mysoulscreams said...

Id lov to read this book, I just bought Fallen.

doreen lamoureux said...

Super review. I think I would enjoy this read. Warlocks, witches, faeries, and shapeshifters and broken rules...yap.

dorcontest at gmail dot com

jlarkin said...

My students just read the ARC and I'm going to be posting soon - they had mixed reviews. One loved it, the other not so much! Now I'm super curious...

Natasha said...

I seen this book everywhere lately. I have to read it! haha
Great review!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.