-->
young adult book reviews & more

Original Sin by Lisa Desrochers

Original Sin (A Personal Demons Novel)Luc Cain never knew that going after Frannie Cavanaugh could change him this much, and not just because he might be in love. Thanks to Frannie’s unique powers, Luc is so changed that he is no longer even a demon. Frannie and Luc are happy that they can finally be together, but their bliss is short-lived when they realize that Hell won’t just let them be. It seems that they have no choice but to accept Heaven’s protection in the form of the angel Gabriel. Too bad Gabe is still sorting out his own feelings for Frannie; instead of risking his wings, Gabe entrusts Frannie and Luc’s safety to Frannie’s inexperienced guardian angel. With old and new threats from Hell and only a seriously distracted angel for protection, it’s going to be nearly impossible for Frannie and Luc to escape from this battle for Frannie’s soul unscathed.

I quite enjoyed reading Personal Demons, but I found myself less than pleased by its sequel Original Sin. I loved revisiting the same sexy cast of characters, but I thought Personal Demons had one major element which its sequel lacked: an overarching plot direction. This isn’t to say that Original Sin was merely a jumble of unrelated events. Rather, the duration in the plot timeline for Frannie or Luc to achieve one of their goals lessened as the story went on until I just felt that things kept happening. I didn’t like that there wasn’t one main goal in the story; the multitude of small goals made me feel that the whole story was without a point. Aside from this, I did enjoy many of the new characters and complications that Desrochers introduced in the book, even if some were certainly better done than others. And though I do wish the plot were a little more cohesive overall and that some of the descriptions weren’t so repetitive, I am still looking forward to the conclusion to this story in Last Rite.

Fans of Personal Demons will not want to miss its sequel, Original Sin, nor will readers who enjoyed My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent and Unearthly by Cynthia Hand.

Rating: 3.0

Review copy from publisher Macmillan

0 munch(es) :

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.