-->
young adult book reviews & more

Green Books Campaign: H.I.V.E.: Dreadnought by Mark Walden



This review is part of the Green Books campaign. Today 100 bloggers are reviewing 100 great books printed in an environmentally friendly way. Our goal is to encourage publishers to get greener and readers to take the environment into consideration when purchasing books. This campaign is organized by Eco-Libris, a green company working to green up the book industry by promoting the adoption of green practices, balancing out books by planting trees, and supporting green books. A full list of participating blogs and links to their reviews is available on Eco-Libris website.

This book has been printed on FSC-certified paper.

_________________________________________________________________

Things are looking shaky for the prime villains of the world now that one of the leaders of G.L.O.V.E. (Global League of Villainous Enterprises) has gone rogue with the intent of destroying G.L.O.V.E. and showing the world the face of true evil. Meanwhile, Otto and his friends from H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education) make a pit stop en route to an Arctic survival course from which only 93% of students survive—a stop that ensure a complete change of course. Instead of shivering in subzero temperatures, Otto and his friends find themselves on the run, all the while being unknowingly tracked by the villain they need to defeat. These young villains-in-training will have to utilize all their skills and find out who they can truly trust if they’re going to prevent the end of the world as they—and everyone else—knows it.

I don’t believe I can say there is a single moment in this fourth installment in the H.I.V.E. series that is without action or danger. Though I have not read the earlier three books in the series, from what I gather, Otto and the other H.I.V.E. students’ previous adventures were similarly packed to the brim with nonstop action. I usually criticize books this action-filled for their lack of depth, but I actually found the plot in this novel so engaging that I didn’t feel the need for more complex characters. Also, the plot is well written and creative in addition to being just plain exciting. I can honestly say I had difficulty guessing the outcome of many situations, and all the high-tech gadgets pushed the boundaries of my brain; in a sense, I was learning as I satisfied my appetite for danger. I know I’ve been pretty much nonstop praising the plot, but Walden does deserve credit for his characters as well. They are for the most part believable, and I like how there are strong women as well as strong men. What I found most interesting about this novel was how trust and loyalty played such large roles among the villains, I’d thought no honor among thieves was the rule, but I guess that just goes to show that even the most evil people still have humanity. Either that or I just haven’t been clued in on correct villain protocol.

Having now read Dreadnought, I certainly am eager to catch the first three books in the H.I.V.E. series and any more installments to come. Fans of spy/secret agent/just plain action flicks will enjoy this series as well as readers who enjoyed the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from publisher Bloomsbury through Eco-Libris

4 munch(es) :

Lindsay's Photographys said...

Sounds neat! I will add this to my "BIG" reading pile. :D:D

Alyce said...

It looks like this one was a pleasant surprise! I love it when I find new series to read. :)

The Book Owl said...

Nice review. I'd never heard of these books before, so I'm excited to check them out.

Serena said...

Hmm, sounds like an interesting and fast-paced series of books. thanks for the review.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.