-->
young adult book reviews & more

Geek Chic: The Zoey Zone by Margie Palatini

Geek Chic: The Zoey ZoneMeet Zoey Zinevich. She’s almost eleven years old and eager to start eighth grade. She’s only got one problem—Zoey is a bit of a geek, and in order to survive middle school (as she has heard), she’s got to become cool. With less than two hundred days to magically transform her appearance, Zoey doesn’t know what to do. And that fairy godmother hasn’t appeared yet to give her a makeover. In this short but hilarious novel, readers and Zoey Zinevich will learn to love who they are.

Normally, I don’t think I’d ever pick up this book because it is aimed at the middle school crowd or lower ages. However, I found Geek Chic to be a very funny and heartwarming read. Zoey’s character is intelligent and quirky, and I enjoyed her unique narrations. Zoey’s character authentically captures what it’s like to be an awkward tween. Zoey is easy to relate to, because I’m sure we’ve all, at one point or another, wanted to be cooler than we are now. I have to say that I immensely liked the creativity in the layout of this novel. I’ve become so used to standardized text that the illustrations and interesting fonts were surprising and refreshing.

Overall, Geek Chic was a quick and enjoyable book that younger readers will love and enjoy. The plot and story may be a bit too simplistic for older readers though.

Rating: 3.75

Review copy from publisher HarperCollins Childrens

5 munch(es) :

Amanda said...

Fabbity fab review!!
I'll have to show it to my little sister.

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know, I nominated you for the I <3 Your Blog award. :) Check my blog for details!

Keri Mikulski said...

Definitely pick this one up for my niece. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Unknown said...

I luv this book. I read it 7 times. I really recommend it to everyone. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't like this book... read it and it's very hard to understand (not the words, but the way nothing Zoey says makes sense). Don't read it. Dumb book.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.