-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Otherworldies by Jennifer Anne Kogler

The OtherworldliesFern is an unusual girl, and in middle school, that’s just not acceptable. Every day, she has to deal with others’ spite over her strange qualities and habits such as blistering from sun exposure, a knack for accurate weather prediction, hearing voices without bodies, and talking with her dog. But what she doesn’t know is that she isn’t normal; she’s a vampire, or an Otherworldy. And among those, she’s one of the most special, because her unique ability to teleport distinguishes her as one of the foretold Unusual Eleven. Fern soon finds herself in the midst of an ages-old battle between the two factions of Otherworldies that could destroy her, the people she loves, and possibly the entire world.

The Otherworldies was a fantastic and action-filled combination of vampirism, ancient mythology, and supernatural powers; it was incredible how Kogler linked the three together even though they may seem to be unrelated. The plot was very fast moving and kept me on the edge of my seat, especially as the story neared its ending. I loved how this story kept me guessing right up until the end and how some of the characters I thought were insignificant turned out to be crucial to the plot. You really have no idea what’s going to happen next. Besides having a well-written plot, The Otherworldies also has creative characters. My favorite was Fern; I found her to be much more mature than her twelve years would suggest as well as witty and resourceful.

Readers looking for a suspenseful, well-written, and unique read should most definitely check out The Otherworldies. Although I believe this novel is considered in the middle grade genre, teens and adults will also enjoy this story.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from BookDivas

9 munch(es) :

Carolina said...

I loved this book! I agree teens & adults can read this book. Great review! I was wondering if you could add me to your link list.

Melsy626 said...

I just have to tell you that I love your blog!!!!!

I have added so many books to my wishlist from checking out your books munched and to be munched!!!! :)

Em said...

looks interesting. I'll have to add it to my Bookmooch wishlist. :)

Wendy Toliver said...

Ooo! Sounds great!

Doret said...

I was wondering about this book the other day at work.

Doret said...

I just thought of a question. It's in our YA section. Would it be okay for 11yr olds?

Anonymous said...

Wow! This book was amazing! I couldn't get enough!

Anonymous said...

hey i heard this book is really good and i was wondering if someone could tell me a place to get it b&n didn't have it thanks

Anonymous said...

I want to read it soooooooooooooo badly!!!!!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.