-->
young adult book reviews & more

America’s Next Top Model: Face Value by Taryn Bell

America's Next Top Model: Novel #1: Face ValueFour very different sixteen-year-old girls find themselves among the forty girls admitted into Top Model Prep, an elite modeling school located in fashion central NYC. It might seem obvious that Chloe, coming from a family of supermodels, is destined to be the winner, even though she’d rather be at home with her boyfriend. But she’s got some fierce competition. Lindsay, a former child star, will do anything to get her fame back. Wild Alexis might be the one to steal the show, among other things. International Shiva-Rose just might be it, especially since her crush is someone on the inside. These girls are beautiful, but do they have what it takes to be at the top—or will they lose themselves along the way?

In all honesty, I didn’t expect much from this book or this series. As a first impression, Face Value seemed to be a lame takeoff from the hit TV show, America’s Next Top Model. To my surprise, I actually enjoyed the book. Although I’ve read several books before involving the modeling industry, its presentation in this book was fresh and interesting. As the story is set at a modeling academy, I actually learned along with the aspiring model characters more about fashion, hair and makeup, and, of course, the industry itself. Where this novel starts to take a dip for me is character development. It’s easy to get a general idea of who each of the characters is; Alexis is spontaneous and friendly, Lindsay is clever and driven, Chloe is withdrawn and sensitive, and Shiva-Rose is focused and moral. Still, there are little bits and pieces about each character’s background and personality that don’t quite fit the big picture, and that partially ruined any relationship I as the reader formed with the characters. Aside from that, Face Value is a quick and enjoyable read, filled with drama, romance, and tidbits about the life of the fashion elite.

The America’s Next Top Model series is sure to be enjoyed by fans of The Elite by Jennifer Banash, Violet on the Runway by Melissa Walker, and The A-List series by Zoey Dean.

Rating: 3.75

Review copy from publisher Scholastic

8 munch(es) :

Cat said...

No, no! Seriously? They made a book series from the show? OK, so it's not *quite* the show, based on your review, but it's the same ANTM logo on the cover.

I don't know what I think about this. Hmm.

Diana Dang said...

I always wondered about this series ever since I saw the whole thing plastered against one wall of the YA section. Thanks for the review!

Nina said...

This is a little bit too weird for me :)

Kelly said...

Maybe I'd like America's Next Top Model if it were more like a book, letting us see what the characters are really like.
Great review!

Nicolette said...

The series is actually pretty good. I read the first three books fairly quickly and I actually got really into them. I'm eager to find out what happens in the last and final book. My favorite character by far is Chloe but I think this is the first book where I actually like the majority of the main characters.

Kiarra said...

I am reading the book right now! at first i was like what the heck when i saw the America's next top model logo! but i read the back of the book and thought huh maybe it is good! So i bought it! Read it ! Loved it! It is a series of books with the 4 girls on the cover! Yes I figured that out!!!! The girls on the cover our the 4 girls we are reading about! My fave character is Shiva-rose by the way!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Kiarra and Nicolette! I love the books even though the whole plot can come across as kinda weird. I've read all three of the books and I can't wait for the fourth book to come out! My favorite character is Chloe! But I pretty much like all of them (but if you only read the first book you won't understand that!) I hope Taryn Bell keeps writing!

Anonymous said...

I <3 this book! It is so awesome! I agree with Anonymous, Kiarra and Nicolette. The third book is the best so far! I love this kid that Alexis is dating in the third book. He is my Edward from Twilight, that sounds really lame but it's true!!!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.