-->
young adult book reviews & more

Play Me by Laura Ruby

Play MeEddy Rochester is a movie fanatic, a wannabe famous filmmaker, and a player. He’s figured he’s pretty much on the fast track to success with his popular online video series Riot Grrl 16. It’s all about him, and the girls love him – at least most of them do. But Lucinda Dulko is different; she’s not as easily charmed as Eddy’s other conquests. Play Me followes Eddy through his ups and downs with Riot Grrl 16, his relationship with his actress mother, and his various female friends. Eddy has to realize that maybe he’s not guaranteed instant success, and that maybe there are other people in the picture besides him.

Laura Ruby weaves and incredibly realistic story in Play Me. Eddy’s character is developed so well that I totally felt I could see through his eyes into his life. There’s something so believable about Eddy’s story that made me want to keep reading. The plot isn’t too exciting, but reading this book was such a great experience because I could really feel Eddy’s emotions. There aren’t many books that I’ve read that have such a real and honest male protagonist like Eddy. Play Me was a beautifully written and extremely honest story anyone can relate to.

If you’re looking for a realistic story to read, Play Me should be your first choice. Fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Catherine Ryan Hyde will also enjoy Laura Ruby’s latest novel.

Rating: 4.5

Review copy from publisher HarperCollins

____________________________________________________

Also see my review at YA Enchanting Reviews.

28 munch(es) :

Liviania said...

Laura Ruby's a wonderful author and I really liked this one. My review will go up sometime in December. (It's written, but not scheduled.)

Anonymous said...

I'm in the middle of reading this book right now, and am loving it too. My review won't go up until September when the book is released, but Little Willow and I are gonna be doing a little survey about the book next week on GuysLitWire, which I'm excited about.

Great review!

Chelsie said...

This book was fantastic and not at all what I was expecting... I was pleasantly surprised. =D

Anna said...

I really, really, really want to read this book. I read Good Girls by Laura Ruby and really enjoyed it.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I love it when women can write men well and visa versa. It's really one of the hardest things to do!

Carolina said...

I really want to read this book. I really liked the first book Good Girls and I can't wait to read this book cause it's from a guys POV. Great review!

Keri Mikulski said...

This one looks really good. Love the title. Thanks for the review. :)

Anonymous said...

Looks good. Thanks!:D

Yan said...

I can't wait to read this book~ I loved "Good Girls"!

sweetmelissa818 said...

I love this! It sounds amazing!

asdfjkl; said...

I REALLY want to read this. I love the cover and I love to read books told through the boy's perspective.

Amanda said...

I wanna read this super bad but my bookstore doesn't have it..

Shalonda said...

I loved Good Girls, and have been waiting to read this one, but I can't find it in any of the stores here or at the library. :(

Brooke Reviews said...

I really enjoy Sarah Dessen, so this sounds like something I'd enjoy.

katayoun said...

this sounds interesting and i love sarah dessen and so this looks like something that i would look into

tynlyd said...

Sounds good. I'm not sure about the plot being very exciting, but the review makes it sound worth a read.

donnas said...

Good review. It sounds like a book I would really want to read.

Mandy said...

I've been wanting to read this book ever since I first saw it's cover on a review site. This was an awesome summary of it, now I know more about it than I did before and want to read it even more. Thanks.

Mitzy said...

LOVE Sarah Dessen, I'm glad you mentioned her as a reference! I am such a judge a book by it's cover kinda girl, and I think this cover is great! Hadn't heard of this book before and now all I want to do is read it!

Katie said...

I love Laura Ruby and Sarah Dessen and am looking forward to reading this book. This is a good review and I plan on reading this book.

kbpup903@yahoo.com

Genevieve said...

This sounds really good. And I love the cover. Covers really draw me into books.

Anonymous said...

The cover looks really good, I don't know why, but it just looks awesome, I usually don't really care about covers.
lizzieland@optonline.net

Korianne said...

This sounds awesome! And that cover is totally neat! (man I sound like I am from the 80s) I am definately adding it to my wishlist.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this sounds like a book I might read for the characters. I hope the female love interest is well developed in her own right, not just a foil for Eddy.

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing! It's just my kind of book. I'll be adding it to me booklist.

Anonymous said...

I really like the cover and the review! I love the title too.

Michelle Kuo said...

I really love that cover! Definitely sounds like my kind of book :)

Paradox said...

This sounds like a good book, especially the parts about filmmaking and online videos.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.