-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Queen Geek Social Club by Laura Preble

The Queen Geek Social ClubShelby Chapelle is a geek and fine with it. She’s smart and pretty and can easily get dates, but all she really wants is a Best Friend. That role is filled by the wild Becca Gallagher. Becca is also a geek and proud of it. The girls instantly bond and become best friends. But Becca is a bit more on the radical side; she wants to find “others of their kind,” and thus the Queen Geek Social Club is born. The main goal of the club is to empower these geeky girls through various projects. The plans get bigger and bigger (Becca is planning to change the world), but sometimes Shelby doesn’t know why she’s along for the ride. It doesn’t help that she’s confused about a certain attractive Norwegian exchange student and another guy named Fletcher. This Queen Geek is going to have to get her brain into gear if she’s going to be the most spectacular person she can be.

I have mixed reactions about The Queen Geek Social Club. This novel succeeded in being humorous and romantic. However, the characters were a bit confusing, especially when tied together with the club. One of the points of the club was to find other geeky girls so they could work together; half the time it seems like they weren’t really friends. Several of the characters’ motivations for hiding certain secrets were unclear. Also, sometimes main character Shelby was a mystery to me, and I thought it was strange how she just suddenly realized at the end of the novel her role in the Queen Geek Social Club and the club’s role in her life. I did love the pranks and ideas that Becca came up with, and I did get some good laughs from reading this book. But the amusing comments only partially made up for the strangely constructed characters, and the result was that this novel was only mildly entertaining.

I’m not really sure if I will read the rest of this series. Girls who love funny and romantic stories may enjoy The Queen Geek Social Club. If you are looking for a book with more meaning, I would not suggest reading it.

Rating: 3.5

Review copy from library

4 munch(es) :

Lenore Appelhans said...

Norwegian exchange student? Now you've got my attention!

Amanda said...

looks interesting, I might check it out...eventually.

Wonderful review!

Anonymous said...

I have this book (and the next two books) in my TBR pile. I just received the third book earlier today in the mail.

Amee said...

Lol, I just got the third today too (well, a day later than you BC, but yeah).

Anyway, I've heard before the characters were confusing. It sounds good, though, so I can't wait to give it a try. :D

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.