-->
young adult book reviews & more

Sisters of Misery by Megan Kelley Hall

Sisters of MiseryMaddie Crane is a young resident of Hawthorne, a small town with a violent history. Though not as famous as the Salem Witch Trials, the persecution of any outcast female in Hawthorne at that time was just as bad, if not more brutal. Hawthorne’s past carries into the present though, as this small town seems set on not welcoming newcomers, especially Maddie’s aunt Rebecca and beautiful cousin Cordelia. Much of this grief comes from Maddie’s circle of so-called-friends, the Sisters of Misery. But soon, petty rumors escalate into a midnight excursion to Misery Island, a night that Maddie cannot remember no matter how desperately she tries, the night that Cordelia goes missing. True to their heritage, residents of Hawthorne immediately dismiss Cordelia’s disappearance as just another runaway teen and don’t throw themselves into the investigation as Maddie does. Maddie knows that Cordelia would never just run away from her mother, but what is Maddie’s search to uncover clues going to cost her?

Sisters of Misery was a truly chilling and suspenseful read. There were so many secrets and twists to the story that kept me perpetually surprised and eager for more. It was incredible how Megan Kelley Hall was able to weave in Hawthorne’s haunting past and its present-day superstitions into Maddie’s story. I also really liked the incorporation of fortune-telling or Maddie’s family’s ability to see clues about the future. Maddie’s insecure yet determined character only added to the essence of the story. This novel keeps you guessing into what really happened to Cordelia, and I kind of liked how at the end, not all my questions were answered; it leaves room for a sequel. It was mildly annoying at times that some details seemed to be snuck in, but the fact that Sisters of Misery was an incredible story overcompensated for that.

Sisters of Misery is definitely one of the best stories I’ve ever read, and I eagerly await the sequel, The Lost Sister. Any reader will be able to get attached to this suspense-filled book with mythical aspects, a historical angle, and many, many twists and turns.

Rating: 4.5

Review copy from publisher Kensington

7 munch(es) :

Anonymous said...

I have this book in my TBR pile and reading your review (among several others) makes me want to read it even more!

Great review!!

Tasha said...

I cannot wait to read this book. It's been sitting in my TBR pile for to long...it's definitely time that I read it!!

Gabrielle said...

This sounds really, really good. I haven't heard of this author/story before; thanks for mentioning it!

Anna said...

I really, really want to read this book.

Shooting Stars Mag said...

whaoh sweet review. i've been hearing amazing things about this book. i wish i had a copy, but it looks like i need to buy it as soon as i can!!!

-lauren

Anonymous said...

I recently finished reading this book but I'm sorry to say that, while I found the author's prose excellent, I found the violence excessive for this age group (12 and up, since the protagonist is 15)and the villainess, Kate Endicott, exaggerated in her meanness. The protagonist is a weak follower and was one until the end, so I just couldn't relate or sympathize with her--definitely not enough to read the sequel. This isn't a novel I could whole-heartedly recommend to tween readers. It would have worked better for me as a YA novel with older characters. The book simply left a bad taste in my mouth--and I read paranormal thrillers regularly.

: 0 said...

i read the book months ago and when i was done i wanted to reread it like 20 times!!! it was awesome i'm getting the second book for my
birthday and i cant wait til then!!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.