-->
young adult book reviews & more

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters

Generation DeadGet ready for the next sensation: waking up after you’ve died.

It started with one strange case, and now it’s happening to more and more American teens. But having a second chance doesn’t make living, or whatever their existence is called, any easier for these “living impaired” or “differently biotic” teens. They face much discrimination, fear, and hatred, and they don’t have any legal rights either. That means anyone who hates them enough can destroy them – and the differently biotic won’t be able to come back after their second death.

Most people are terrified of the differently biotic, but Phoebe is actually attracted to their leader, Tommy Williams. This makes Phoebe’s best friend Margi uncomfortable because of what happened to their other friend Colette. Phoebe’s other good friend Adam is just realizing his deeper feelings for Phoebe, and he doesn’t quite know how to deal with the fact that Phoebe likes Tommy. Add in Pete, a football player who hates the differently biotic with a passion, and you have the incredible novel Generation Dead.

Daniel Waters proves himself to be an exceptionally talented writer with this debut. This story is fast-paced and incredibly unique, and I was impressed with how Waters took on the philosophical topic of death (or undeath, in this case). I liked how each character’s past influenced the decisions they made and the mysteriousness that surrounded others. I can honestly say Generation Dead was one of the best-written and most unique stories I have ever read.

Generation Dead was an incredibly amazing novel, and it has the potential to be made into a series, which I hope happens. I most definitely recommend this novel to anyone and everyone, especially fans of the Twilight series and other vampire novels. I suggest everyone run to the nearest bookstore on May 6 before Generation Dead gets sold out.

Rating: 4.5

Review copy from publisher Disney Hyperion

11 munch(es) :

Rachel said...

Ooh. This book sounds very different; and very interesting :)
Great review ;)

the story siren said...

wasn't this book AMAZING! i'm so glad you liked it! i hope it's a series too!

RR2 said...

oooh...I've really been looking forward to this book. It sounds amazing.

Keri Mikulski said...

Sounds good... Have to check this one out! ;) Thanks for the review! :)

Steph said...

Sounds great. I've been eyeing this book for a while. hehe :)

Steph

Rachel said...

By the way how do you get your comment box to pop up like this one?

Lenore Appelhans said...

I have had my eye on this one and wondered if it was any good. Glad to hear it is!

Anonymous said...

Ooo, this sounds like a must read.

I'm off to track a copy down!

Melissa Walker said...

I love the cover and now I'm glad the insides live up to it! I'll definitely check it out!

Anonymous said...

this book is one of my new faves the last chapter makes my cry every time i read it

Anonymous said...

When I read this book, I cried too. The person i borrowed it from had tear marks on the pages and that just got me going even worse. I find that Daniel Waters brings out the good and the bad in his characters. I wish there was a sequeal, it would make for interesting series, if not subject matter.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.