-->
young adult book reviews & more

Violet in Private by Melissa Walker

Violet In PrivateVenerable Violet is back again in another fashionable tale. This time, she’s off to college after a deferred admission to Vassar. But even though she only wants to have a normal life now as she adjusts to college life and new outrageous but awesome friends, the fashion world is not far behind. Violet is still getting major criticism for gaining a few pounds, and she starts an internship at Teen Fashionista mainly because the magazine editor has always wanted a supermodel intern. In the midst of all this confusion about her self-image, modeling drama, and boy angst, Violet tries to find out who she really is.

I am a huge fan of Melissa Walker’s first two Violet novels, and I was even more impressed with this amazing third. Violet is such a realistic character even though she’s an international supermodel. She faces insecurities every day about her weight and her image, and even though she tries to overcome her wallflower tendencies, it’s very difficult for her to break out of her protective shell. Violet grows so much stronger in this novel, because she begins to love herself for who she is (and not in the way Mirabella Prince’s fake quote said) and stands for something that she truly believes in. Violet’s story is really inspiring; it makes you appreciate all the good things in life and want to tell everyone to love themselves.

For me, the best novels are the kind that can inspire emotions through well-developed characters in a story. Violet in Private is a fantastic example of this. Violet is just so real, and I felt myself experiencing all of Violet’s emotions through her story; when she was upset, I was too, and when she was depressed, I cried.

Melissa Walker’s Violet series is a must-read for anyone who has insecurities. There’s fun, fashion, romance, friendship, and most of all, learning to love yourself. Violet in Private is my favorite of the Violet series, but I also highly recommend the first two, Violet on the Runway and Violet by Design.

Rating: 4.5

Review copy from publisher Berkley JAM

7 munch(es) :

cat said...

I am anxiously awaiting my ARC which I know is supposed to be here by the end of the month... this is a fantastic series of books and well done, too. Not preachy in the least and yet they make you feel good about her final decisions. Melissa Walker has talent I say!

Carolina said...

I can't wait to read this book.Great review and the title of the post is wrong. Isn't it supposed to be Violet in Private? ;)

Amee said...

I can't wait to read it! I'm actually going to be starting it this evening. :P

Rachael Stein said...

omigod, i cannot believe i typed the wrong title!! hehe, stupid me :D

Alea said...

I just recently finished Violet By Design and cannot wait for this one! I have a feeling it's going to be my favorite of the trio!

Anonymous said...

Great review- i loved this book too!! :)

Steph said...

Ahhhh! I just received all three books from Melissa's publicist. I'm so excited to finally start reading them!

Steph

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.