-->
young adult book reviews & more

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

NightshadeCalla Tor has never questioned her destiny. She knows it is her duty as alpha of the younger Nightshade clan to become the mate of Ren Laroche, alpha of the younger Bane clan. She knows that as a Guardian, she must follow the Keepers’ rules and guard against the Searchers. Calla has never been bothered by the path laid out before her, nor has she challenged her purpose. Everything changes when Calla makes the mistake of saving a human boy from death. She figures this will be her sole violation of the Keepers’ rules. But there’s something special about Shay Doran, and it’s not just the way he makes Calla feel. Shay’s questions open up a torrent of Calla’s own until she no longer knows what’s true and what’s been fabricated. It seems it’s time for Calla to choose her own destiny.

Nightshade is a great new novel perfect for readers who can’t get enough of werewolves, even if they’re called Guardians in this story. Fans of the supernatural will flock to this novel filled with danger, action, possibly conspiracies, and most of all, sexy romance. Nightshade seems like it has all the elements for instant success, and for the most part, it’s true. The plot is suspenseful and well written. Cremer provides sufficient background for the Guardians in general as well as for specific main characters so that the story flows. The characters are interesting and mostly believable although the motives of many more minor characters remain obscure. Though Nightshade is a long story, length is not really an issue or deterrent because the story is so enthralling. My one point of complaint is where the story finally cuts off. The cliffhanger is enormous! I am at least satisfied, though, that the story was well paced and that a sequel is likely.

Nightshade appeals of fans of Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater, The Dark Divine by Bree Despain, Firespell by Chloe Neill, and Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.

Rating: 4.25

Review copy from publisher Penguin

3 munch(es) :

My Life With Books - Jennifer K Jovus said...

I agree with you, it felt like it would be a long book but it was over before I knew it! The cliff hanger though, ugh. I really am looking forward to wolfsbane. The story is strong, the characters realistic and the writing is vivid. A perfect read for anyone that likes werewolves.

Anonymous said...

I still have yet to read this book even though its on my tbr pile. You definitely make it sound awesome so I know I have to read it. I do like reading werewolf stories and the different twists authors use so I can't wait to read this one. I love reading longer written books because once I love a story I don't want it to stop. Yes I am slacking since the third novel is out but then again I won't have to wait to read the next book lol.

Princess Z said...

I actually really liked this book and thought it was an awesome read being a fan of the dark divine and linger.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.