-->
young adult book reviews & more

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, NecromancerSam is just your ordinary college dropout working fast food to pay for his crappy apartment. Or so he thinks. But Douglas, a powerful and very dangerous necromancer who stumbles across Sam by chance, knows better. Sam is just like him, even if Sam fails to recognize this. But Sam really has no choice in the matter. Douglas is none too pleased to have another necromancer in the Seattle area and gives Sam an ultimatum—become his apprentice or die. This gives Sam exactly one week to find his powers, learn how to use them, figure out what to do with his recently undead friend, and find a way to get around Douglas. Yeah, this is going to be one heck of a week.

I was interested in reading Hold Me Closer, Necromancer because frankly, I have not read many paranormal stories about necromancy. The ones that I have read, particularly The Abhorsen Chronicles by Garth Nix, were really good, so I was a little worried that Hold Me Closer, Necromancer would pale in comparison. Fortunately, McBride’s debut novel has different merits, primarily humor. Protagonist Sam’s quick wit and constant sarcasm make the story amusing to read even in the face of imminent danger. The plot is fast and funny, but I particularly enjoyed learning about Sam’s past and the art and politics of necromancy. McBride does a wonderful job of constructing the background to Sam’s story, which I greatly appreciate. I feel like there’s a lot of potential for McBride and Sam’s story, so I do hope there will a sequel, because I’d love to see what happens next.

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer will be enjoyed by fans of Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst, Siren by Tricia Rayburn, and The Dark Divine by Bree Despain.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from Amazon Vine

5 munch(es) :

Liviania said...

This one sounds really fun. Due to the title I assumed it waa romance.

Rachel said...

This sounds really good! I haven't read any of the other books you suggested, but I think I have to give this one a read.

Kate Coombs said...

I've heard good things about this one. Thanks for the review!

J Wiles Parker said...

I just finished reading this book after seeing it crop up on several "best of" lists from last year. I found it to be a really quick read and was definitely left wanting more. I too am really hoping McBride continues with Sam's story because all the characters were really unique people and they definitely have more story in them!

teambongda6 said...

Cảm ơn đã chia sẻ. Cho mình hỏi ngoài lề chút ạ: Mọi người có lịch thi đấu Aff Cup 2018 bongda365 chuẩn không?

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.