-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Loser’s Guide to Life and Love by A.E. Cannon

The Loser's Guide to Life and Love: A NovelAt Ed’s summer job at a Reel Life Movies, he is required to wear a very odd-looking uniform and a name tag displaying an incorrect name, Sergio. But things aren’t as bad as they could be. He gets to hand out with his two best friends, Scout and Quark, and a very beautiful girl named Ellie might be interested in him. The only problems are that Ellie thinks Ed is a Brazilian guy named Sergio, Scout likes Ed, and Quark likes Scout. It’s a complicated love tangle that will test friendships and loyalties.

The Loser’s Guide to Life and Love was quite a hilarious novel that I truly enjoyed. It was really funny watching Ed get caught in his lies and Quarks social ineptness. All the characters are lovable, even the intimidating Ali who owns Reel Life Movies. But what I liked best about the characters, especially Ed/Sergio was how they knew they had to work things out and do the right thing. In a way, it made the story unrealistic, but it provided for a much happier ending.

The Loser’s Guide to Life and Love is based on Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, which I appreciated because I love Shakespeare. I also liked the abundance of allusions to various movies as well as novels. I thought it was funny how certain characters started out liking the wrong person only to then start liking the right one, but it made the ending fun and happy.

If you are looking for a light and fun read, you should look out for this novel in July from HarperTeen.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from personal collection

6 munch(es) :

Madison said...

Ooh...This looks fun.

Great review!

Tasha said...

I love A Midsummers's Nights Dream. This sounds like a fun twist on it!! Can't wait to read it and great review.

Lenore Appelhans said...

I do need some light, fun reads - all of my picks lately have been so heavy.

ann cannon said...

Thanks so much for your kind review of my book! (I love your blog BTW.)

xo

Ann Cannon

Anonymous said...

Great book, I had to read it twice, both times in one sitting!

Anonymous said...

It is an awsome book! I couldn't stop reading it.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.