-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time IndianJunior is just another unlucky kid living on an Indian reservation, but unfortunately, he’s even unluckier than most. He was born with brain damage and a strangely disproportioned body, which causes him to be alternately beat up and ridiculed by all the other kids on the reservation except his only friend Rowdy. Junior might be smart and a good artist, but growing up in poverty and surrounded by alcoholics and broken dreams makes him believe that he’s destine to the same life he’s always had. But the wise advice from a teacher prompts Junior to take control of his life and fight against what little is expected of him. And despite animosity from nearly every side, this unlucky kid is determined to succeed.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is both profound and humorous, making for a very enjoyable read. Junior’s frank voice made for plenty of deep thoughts and giggles. Junior was so interesting to read about, both because of his character and circumstances. I found Junior to be surprisingly mature for his age, and it made him seem older than he actually was, but then again, this maturity may have arisen from his difficult life. Life on the reservation was realistically portrayed, as heartbreaking as it was. Drawing and art did not play as large a role in Junior’s life as I would’ve thought; instead, sports, particularly basketball, were central to Junior’s struggle for success. This novel definitely left me with that warm fuzzy feeling that can inspire anyone to strive to accomplish their dreams, no matter how far-fetched. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a fun and heartwarming read about life and death, friendship and family.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian is a feel-good novel while still retaining its authenticity. Fans of this story’s message will also enjoy Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith.

Rating: 4.25

reviewed for BookDivas

9 munch(es) :

JKB said...

I agree. This is a fantastic book.

Leigh Purtill said...

I loved this book too and couldn't put it down.

Kimberly Derting said...

I've been thinking about getting this one, and you've just helped me to make that decision. I will definitely be adding this to my '09 Reading List!!!

stargirlreads said...

sounds like an interesting novel.

stargirlreads said...

I have nominated you for the I love your blog awards.

Anonymous said...

I just also nominated you for the I Love Your Blog Award. You're popular today! ;)

The Book Obsession said...

I've heard nothing but good things about this book. I'll definatley pick it up
When you get the time would you mind doing a link exchange? Thanks =]
bookworm0440.blogspot.com
Happy Holidays! =]

Kd said...

Hey, would you like to do a link exchange? :)

Katie.

Anonymous said...

i first had to read this for a book report. my teacher recommended it to me and i was like great a book but when i read this book i liked it a lot.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.