-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger GamesIn the nation of Panem, the only civilization left in the ruins of North America, fear is power. The Capitol keeps each of the twelve surrounding districts on a tight leash by exploiting this fear, particularly through a cruel and vicious ceremony known as the Hunger Games, a yearly contest for survival. Each district is required to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to compete in this fight for life that is televised live for all of Panem to bet on and enjoy.

Things are going fine for sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen of the poorest part of District 12. Her family is doing relatively well and Katniss hasn’t gotten caught hunting in the forest or poaching, crimes punishable by death. She even has a trustworthy partner in her illegal activities, a real friend. But when her younger sister is randomly drawn to be a contestant in the Hunger Games, she volunteers to take her place out of love and desperation. And even if Katniss doesn’t think she stands a chance, coming from the dumps of the poorest district, survival is part of who she is. But in the Hunger Games, there is no room for the luxuries of friendship or even humanity, because there can only be one victor.

The Hunger Games contains a shockingly disturbing view of the future in which humanity has progressed backward even if civilization and technology continues. It is a completely dystopian future where wealth is unevenly distributed to an extreme degree, starvation is commonplace, and fear rules people’s lives. Yet, in the midst of this harsh and unforgiving atmosphere, small amounts of humanity to persevere, especially in the form of spunky heroine Katniss. The fight for survival drives her to the edge between right and wrong, and Katniss struggles between feeling compassion for her human competitors and ruthless killing like a machine in order to win. I felt Collins illustrates this precarious balance very well through this action packed and thought provoking novel. The inclusion of romance and Katniss’ confusion over her feelings, even if that part gets rather annoying, only further demonstrates the struggle of humanity against a cruel regime of power, because love and friendship are the most human one can get. Suspenseful and full of hidden meaning, this page turner wills stick with readers beyond the last page and leave them craving more.

If the “End of Book one” on The Hunger Games’ last page is any indicator, this must read will soon be continued in a sequel or series. Fans of other dystopian novels including the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, Shift by Charlotte Agell, Unwind by Neal Shusterman, Cherry Heaven by L.J. Adlington, and The Giver by Lois Lowry will not want to miss The Hunger Games.

Rating: 5.0

Review copy from publisher Scholastic

22 munch(es) :

Simply_Megan said...

Ahhh this book is so good! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

This book is SO SO SO good!

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I loved this book and can't wait for the sequel in September!

Kd said...

I can't wait to read this one! :]

Anonymous said...

I loved this book. I can't wait for the sequel. Great review!

addicted reader said...

Hey! I have an award for you! Come check it out at customizedbookmarks.blogpsot.com

Wrighty said...

I read this one when it first came out and I loved it too. I'm anxious to see how far the series will go. Thanks for your list of other similar books. I haven't read all of those yet but I hope to. I did like Lois Lowery's books though. Great review!

Anonymous said...

I love this book! Can't wait for the sequel in September. I also loved Uglies.

Vanesa said...

Great book...I really enjoyed this one!

Serena said...

I keep hearing good things about this book. thanks for the review.

Reverie said...

this book is one of my fave. it takes such a good hold on you and it just doesn't let go until the very end. I'm still speechless waiting for more. cannot wait for catching fire this fall

Sandy said...

I loved this book too! Even though I already read a long time ago, I'm thinking of rereading it to get reacquainted with Katniss's world. Auuugh! Wonderful review :)

Angiegirl said...

I think you're right on with the craving bit. Collins seems to really have a knack for getting under her readers' skins and making it imperative they read more! Thanks for the review.

Unknown said...

Very well-written, both the review and the book. I just read The Hunger Games a week ago and right after it I wanted to dive into the second book! But it wasn't out yet...

Eliza said...

I adore this book! Thanks for reviewing it!!!

Anonymous said...

Loved this book, and after reading it I was in love with Peeta. But now that I've read Catching Fire I don't know who I like more!

Unknown said...

I've just started reading Hunger Games, but so far, excellent!

Thanks for a great review!

Dottie :)

Iroquois Girl said...

I absolutely loved this book.
In general, there's nothing I like more than a gritty dystopic/post-apocalyptic novel, and Hunger GAmes does not disappoint! I agree: 5.0 all the way:)

-Bella

Froggy said...

I have heard nothing but great things about the book..I want to get it and read it SOON! :)

Megan said...

I can't wait to read this book! Great review.

Briana said...

The Hunger Games is probably one of my favorite books now! I cannot stop referring people to read it! I love it! Awesome review!!

-Arielle

Paradox said...

*hides* I actually haven't read it yet... but I know it is INCREDIBLY good, and I want to read it during a time when I'm not ridiculously busy and/or sleep deprived so I can get the most out of it.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.