-->
young adult book reviews & more

Quick Snacks: A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie by Matt Blackstone


Rene, an obsessive-compulsive fourteen year old, smells his hands and wears a Batman cape when he’s nervous. If he picks up a face-down coin, moves a muscle when the time adds up to thirteen (7:42 is bad luck because 7 + 4 + 2 = 13), or washes his body parts in the wrong order, Rene or someone close to him will break a bone, contract a deadly virus, and/or die a slow and painful death like someone in a scary scene in scary movie. Rene’s new and only friend tutors him in the art of playing it cool, but that’s not as easy as Gio makes it sound.

I ended up picking up this book because I saw the author, Matt Blackstone, at several events around the city and his readings were always hilariously fantastic. So, I exercised my rights as a Macmillan intern and borrowed a copy of A Scary Scene in a Scary Movie from the marketing shelves in my free time... The result was undoubtedly positive. Reading this book was just as funny, sad, and heartwarming as I hoped it would be, based on my previous experiences of hearing Matt read. Rene is such a unique and believable character; getting to see the world from his perspective was such a treat.

Rating: 4.25

Review copy from publisher Macmillan

0 munch(es) :

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.