-->
young adult book reviews & more

Claim to Fame by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Claim to FameLindsay Scott was a childhood actress who had everything—until the day her horrible new skill showed up. From that day on, Lindsay was able to hear everything that anyone said about her not matter where they were. And with everyone talking about her, it nearly drove her crazy. She escaped from the public eye when her show was cancelled and she moved to a small town in Illinois with her father. Now sixteen, Lindsay’s still hiding out at home, her only refuge from the onslaught of voices she normally hears. Everything changes when Lindsay is “rescued” by a couple of local teens. She is forced to face all she’s been running from, the very nature of her strange talent. Are there other like her? And what does it really mean to hear others the way Lindsay does?

I was primarily interested in reading Claim to Fame because I enjoyed Haddix’s Shadow Children series when I was younger. From what I remember, not much has changed about Haddix’s writing, and if anything, I actually think her earlier writing was better. I did enjoy reading this story, but despite the uniqueness of Lindsay’s interesting skill and her kidnapping in this book’s opening scenes, it just wasn’t very exciting or interesting. In addition, the characters weren’t the most realistic either. Most of them, Lindsay included, felt only partially developed. And sadly, what was one of the original selling points for me, Lindsay’s ability to hear what others said about her, wasn’t nearly as intriguing as I hoped it would be. The whole effect was rather anticlimactic and flat. Overall, this novel could’ve been much better.

Claim to Fame may be enjoyed by fans of Haddix’s earlier writing. Based on my lack of enthusiasm for this story, I don’t think I’d pick up a sequel if there ever is one.

Rating: 3.25

Review copy from Amazon Vine

2 munch(es) :

Liviania said...

I didn't even know Haddix had a new book out! I'm sad to hear it isn't very good; I loved Haddix as a kid.

Steve Jones said...

My Name is Steve Jones from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.