-->
young adult book reviews & more

Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Nick & Norah's Infinite PlaylistNick loses it when he sees his ex-girlfriend at the punk club, so he asks the girl next to him to pretend to be his girlfriend. Norah wouldn’t agree under normal circumstances, but she happens to know the girl who dumped Nick, a girl she doesn’t particularly like, so she kisses him in response. What starts as a five-minute relationship turns into the beginning of a strong bond between the two. That night, they explore New York City, the meaning of the connections between people, and fall in love.

Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist is a beautiful love story blossoming from a shared love of punk music. Both Nick and Norah were interesting and sensitive characters, each with their own relationship problems, each afraid to enter into a new relationship. I thought it was sweet how they fit so well for each other. Each time one left the other, I felt almost anger, because throughout the entire story, I there was a sense that Nick and Norah were meant to be together, and that they couldn’t be apart. This is the type of bond I was looking for in Reincarnation by Suzanne Weyn, so I was a little surprised to find it in this novel. But this link made the story so romantic and sweet.

I also really liked the alternate narrations between Nick and Norah, because I got to see their feelings. It was amusing how, for example, Nick thought something and Norah thought the exact opposite of the same situation, but somehow everything turned out fine. I didn’t feel that I completely got to know them, because the story took place over the course of only one night and only certain aspects of their characters were explored, but I did like what was shown of them.

I most definitely recommend this novel, but be aware of the excess of profanity used in the writing (I counted exactly 250 appearances of the f-word) and a continuous yearning for sex. However, since the story was so sweet and optimistic, I look forward to reading the next book coauthored by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, Naomi and Ely’s No Kiss List.

Rating: 5.0

Review copy from personal collection

16 munch(es) :

RR2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RR2 said...

I loved this book. Still haven't read Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, though.

Alea said...

Such a great book! It was the one that got me back into YA. I hope the movie lives up to the book.

Khy said...

I loved this book. It was amazing.

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List is pretty awesome too. I read it the other day. x)

Anna said...

I LOVED this book. :) I read Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, also, but I feel that Nick & Norah's is better. :) Rachel Cohn and David Levithan write really good together -- whenever I'm reading it I always forget that it's by two authors lol.

hope.

Tasha said...

I just got this book and can't wait to read it. I have heard just so many good things about it!! Can't wait to see the movie either. Great Review!!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I need to read this book. I've been meaning too FOREVER, but it will happen. I'm super stoked about the movie though.
Great review! :)

Lauren

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I need to read this book. I've been meaning too FOREVER, but it will happen. I'm super stoked about the movie though.
Great review! :)

Lauren

Keri Mikulski said...

Loved this one too. So honest. :)

paperxxflowers said...

I want to read this book soooooo badly. It's high up there on my wishlist.

good review :]

Hillary said...

I've been thinking about getting this for a while but every time I go to Borders I get distracted! I guess I should write it on my hand! Great review!

Liviania said...

This is such a beautiful book. It's very raw and passionate and the one night format works well because it allows Cohn & Levithan to sustain the intensity.

Naomi and Ely was a cute, fun read but not near the level of Nick and Norah.

(I see you're reading The Summoning - I am beyond jealous.)

Tasha said...

I love the title of this book. I didn't like the actual plot as much as I wanted to, but I think it's a sweet and optimistic love story, and I like that they slow it down a bit at the end because - yes, it is quite sexually charged.

Melissa Walker said...

can't wait for the movie!

Em said...

This is an awesome book. I liked David Levithan's chapters best. His writing is amazing. And I can't wait for the movie either!

Anonymous said...

i loved the book! i read it in like 2 days, considering it was 183 pages, but it was AWESOME! hopefully i'll be able 2
watch nick and norah's infinite playlist
..yeah michael cera rules!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.