-->
young adult book reviews & more

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld is Munch-Worthy

Leviathan

It is the cusp of World War I, and all the European powers are arming up. The Austro-Hungarians and Germans have their Clankers, steam-driven iron machines loaded with guns and ammunition. The British Darwinists employ fabricated animals as their weaponry. Their Leviathan is a whale airship, and the most masterful beast in the British fleet.

Aleksandar Ferdinand, prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battle-torn Stormwalker and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, a girl disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With the Great War brewing, Alek's and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way...taking them both aboard the Leviathan on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure. One that will change both their lives forever.

What can I say? I am a big fan of Scott Westerfeld. Seriously, I've read and enjoyed the Uglies series, the Midnighters trilogy, Peeps and The Last Days, and another one I can't think of at the moment. So, reasonably, I would be excited for the latest from this great author.

Another favorable point is the historical angle. Not that I enjoyed learning about the World Wars during history class, but I'm counting on Westerfeld to make this unusual and interesting.

Plus, I sense a possible romance.

Releases October 6, 2009 from Simon Pulse.

7 munch(es) :

Dani. said...

I am equally thrilled for this book.
I can not wait for Scott Westerfeld to rock my socks off. :)
All his stuff is pure gold.

Unknown said...

bring on the Westerfeld! Can't wait!

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Ack! Not until October? I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an interesting alternate history/steampunk story. I'll save my Border coupons for this one.

Shauna Leigh Atkinson said...

I also LOVE Scott Westerfeld's books. I think the other one you are forgetting is So Yesterday! I have read all of his YA books so far and am looking forward to this one as well. I'm curious about the history part too, but I have high hopes and have already pre-ordered. Can't wait to see how it is and how you review it as well.

Shari Green said...

I haven't read any steampunk yet, but I imagine this would be an excellent place to start! Thanks for the review. :)

J Wiles Parker said...

I love me some steampunk and cannot wait to get my hands on this book. As a fan of Westerfeld, well, it just makes the wait harder. Thankfully, it's only a few weeks away.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.