-->
young adult book reviews & more

Interview with Gwen Hayes

Recently, I had the privilege of interviewing lovely debut author Gwen Hayes. Here's what she has to say.

What has your experience as a debut author been like so far?
It's been wonderful! I feel like a princess. Everyone I've worked with at my publisher has been so supportive. Even when I'm acting like a dork. (Seriously, I feel like I could tell anyone I've worked with "I'm nervous, hold my hand, and they would.)

What has been the best part of the publishing process for you? the worst?
It's all been fun so far. I've loved interacting with the readers so much. Probably the worst is trying to make sure book 2 doesn't suck because everyone has such high expectations for it.

Falling Under is so lucky to have such an alluring cover! How did it come about?
Magic, fairy dust...an editor who knows how to communicate really well, an art department who can look at a seed and see a garden, a photographer with a great eye, and a cover model who is as sweet as she is beautiful.

Where did your ideas for Falling Under come from?
I don't know the answer to that. It's a little nerve-wracking sometimes to see the creepiness I'm able to come up with on page. Imaginations are strange and beautiful things.

In Falling Under, there is initially a very fine line between the dream state and an alternate world. Can you tell us a little about the process of integrating that into the story?
Again..I don't really know. The story comes to me as I write it down. I don't think about themes or whys and hows. I just leap and hope it all makes sense later.

What was the most difficult scene for you to write, and why?
There is a scene when Theia does something stupid that I didn't agree with. I half-hoped they'd make me take it out, but nobody ever said anything and it's still there. Theia isn't exactly a role model for feminists everywhere. She gets better, I think, as she goes along, but she doesn't always think things through.

Which of your characters can you relate to the most?
Donny. Aside from the boy-craziness.

What is the most rewarding part about being a young adult author?
Interacting with readers and my friendships with other writers.

If there was one thing you could change about Falling Under, what would it be?
That's what sequels are for. What, you didn't think everything would stay the same did you?

What are you working on next?
I'm editing the sequel now and hoping to dive into a new trilogy set in Serendipity Falls next. I also have some short stories I want to work on. I love writing short stories.

1 munch(es) :

Gwen Hayes said...

Thank you for interviewing me!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.