-->
young adult book reviews & more

Teen Author Carnival, Book Expo America, and This Is Teen Launch Recap

The fourth week of May was a very busy week for me in the way of book events, as I'm sure it was for all the other book bloggers who came to NYC. Why? Well, mostly for the reasons I will list below! (There are other reasons, but they're much less interesting than the ones I will tell you about).

Teen Author Carnival (TAC)

Monday, the 23rd marked the third annual Teen Author Carnival. What is TAC, you ask? Why, it's basically a bunch of YA authors gathering for a series of panels and then signing lots of books. Sounds fun, right? Well, it was!






Unfortunately, I was only able to attend two of the panels, since two panels were scheduled for each time slot and I am as of yet unable to clone myself to be at two places at once. Also, I was having so much fun listening to the panels and talking to cool people that I forgot to take many pictures. But I did meet and chat with lots of wonderful authors and other bookish people, get lots of books signed, as well as snatch up a bunch of swag, including a highly coveted Mara Dyer t-shirt.

Book Expo America (BEA)

BEA is one of the two largest book conventions in the US, and therefore gets a wide attendance from people all over the world. I doubt I could even begin to list all of the book bloggers who came in to NYC for BEA. And as I'm sure that there are already so many BEA recap posts floating all over the internet, I thought I'd share some pictures but keep mine short (or as short as I can).






Things I did at BEA:
  • get lots of books signed
  • snagged a bunch of ARCs that I wanted
  • took a bunch of swag
  • met lots of book bloggers and authors
  • chatted with publicists I knew and met some new ones as well
  • advertised extensively for The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
  • encouraged people to wait in line to get books signed by Jocelyn Davies, Marianna Baer, and Mary E. Pearson
  • squeal a little every time I saw Lenore from Presenting Lenore
  • thought I almost dislocated my left shoulder from carrying the weight of many of my books there
  • accidentally got extra copies of the same book either because I had forgotten I'd gotten a copy earlier or because I grabbed the ARC and then went to the author's signing (see way below)
Things I did not do at BEA (either because I forgot or didn't have time):
  • attend Mary E. Pearson's book signing even though I really, really wanted to
  • eat real food (don't worry, I ate plenty of junk food snacks!)
  • say hello to Laini Taylor (author of Daughter of Smoke and Bone) for Cat Valente (author of The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her Own Making)
  • realize that I was talking to Daniel Handler a.k.a. Lemony Snicket 
  • take any pictures on Thursday, the last day of BEA, because I had left my memory card at home instead of putting it back in my camera
So, I'm sure many of you noticed the last entry on my list of things done at BEA. I bet you're wondering what on earth I am going to do with all these extra books, and if you were thinking contest, then you were right!

CONTEST CLOSED

The only catch is, I'm not going to tell you what specifically is in this prize pack. I want it to be more of a pleasant surprise. Here's what I will tell you is in it:
  • 1 signed, final copy
  • 1 signed ARC
  • 6 other (highly coveted) ARCs
  • a tote bag
  • bookmarks (some signed)
  • postcards
  • buttons
  • lots and lots of other swag
To enter this contest, please fill out this form:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFJDSS16YU9oWWNqY1B0Zk9JblYxWlE6MQ

I do ask that those who did attend BEA not enter this contest, as I would like to give this prize pack to someone who wouldn't have the opportunity to get these books and swag on their own. 

Other details:
  • US mailing addresses only.
  • Contest ends 6/17/11, at 9 p.m. EST.
Remember, you must complete the form to be entered, and only one form submission per person will be counted. If you have any questions about this contest, see my contest policy, or contact me and ask away.

This Is Teen Launch

On Thursday evening, I headed over to the Scholastic building for the This Is Teen launch party. In addition to lots and lots of bloggers, there were three fabulous Scholastic authors in attendance: Meg Cabot, Maggie Stiefvater, and Libba Bray. And with personalities such as these, you know it's going to be a fantastic event, which it most certainly was.






I was thrilled to have the opportunity to chat with each of these fabulous as well as their wonderful publicists. I also had a brief fangirl moment when I met Aimee Friedman, another Scholastic author and editor extraordinaire (in addition to David Levithan and Lisa Ann Sandell). I may have let it slip several times that the Scholastic building is my dream place of residence employment.

What can I say? The busy week might have been getting to me by then....

4 munch(es) :

Jessy said...

Wow! So many great authors in one place. I'm so jealous :D

Shannon The Bookstalker said...

You're so fortunate to live in the city, that literally never sleeps, LOL! There's always so many great book events going on in NYC at any given time.

Thanks for the recap on all the cool events, it sounds like you had such a wonderful time and meet some amazing people. Love the pics too, thanks for those and for the very generous giveaway!!!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I squealed every time I saw you too! Lots of squealing at BEA, lol!

latishajean said...

Thank you so much for the chance Im not a book blogger so don't get ARCs unless I win So it is very kind of you to share with us book lovers! Their are so many great books coming out this year!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.