|check out the full tour schedule at the MacKids blog|
I'm super excited to be hosting the fabulous Leigh Bardugo today on her blog tour for the spectacular Shadow and Bone! This is a book that I've been excited about for over a year, for good reason.
Read on to see Leigh's guest post and for a chance to win your very own copy of her new book...
Seven Reasons to Travel to Ravka
When I set about building the world of the Grisha Trilogy, I wanted to create a place of beauty and brutality, laden with dark magic, science, and superstition. I took my inspiration from Tsarist Russia, but Ravka is a country all its own. It doesn't have a tourist bureau, but if it did, here's what the brochure might say...
1. Vacation by the shores of the Shadow Fold! Property prices have dropped off since this swath of impenetrable darkness tore Ravka in two. Now you can reap the benefits. Fall asleep lulled by the shrieks of volcra, secure in the knowledge that they can't move beyond the borders of their desolate wasteland. We hope.
2. Trek the wilds of Tsibeya. Behold fields of fire lichen and mystical birch groves. For an additional fee, we can arrange for you to be chased through the permafrost by a group of armed men. Bring shoes suitable for walking and running (away).
3. Hike the Petrazoi. True, there's not much to look at but gray rock and the occasional goat, but the solitude will do you good.
4. See the famous double walls of Os Alta, the Dream City. Gaze upon the golden domes of the Little Palace! Have a bath in a beaten copper tub, and see what gorgeous textiles the Fabrikators are whipping up in their workshops. (This is a guided tour. Please do not get separated from the tour group, especially near the Corporalki anatomy rooms.)
5. Drink champagne and dine on roasted lynx at the Winter Fete! Pack your dressy best and mingle with the Ravkan elite. We can guarantee that you'll meet noblemen. We just can't promise you'll like them.
6. Drop by the orphanage at Keramzin. (Please note: the orphans do not sing and dance like the kids in Oliver! or Annie. They are, however, fairly plucky.)
7. Can you break hearts—literally? Have you been known to raise the roof—off the house? You may have latent Grisha powers. Get tested and join the Second Army! The Darkling welcomes new recruits.
And now it's contest time!
(1) lucky winner will receive Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
courtesy of Macmillan
To enter this contest, please fill out this form:
- US/Canadian mailing addresses only.
- Contest ends 6/25/12, at 9 p.m. PST.