-->
young adult book reviews & more

A week of book events

I was fortunate enough to make it to several great book events last week! Here's what happened:

Last Saturday, I went on down to Books of Wonder for a signing featuring Sarah Beth Durst, Karsten Knight, Malinda Lo, and Jessica Shirvington.

Sarah Beth Durst & Karsten Knight
Malinda Lo & Jessica Shirvington

Though initially the authors didn't seem to know how to proceed with the event, things quickly got underway as each introduced his/her new book with a reading or just a brief talk (in Jessica's case). Then there was a quick Q&A with the audience, and then it was time to sign books.

I had a great time at this event getting my copies of Adaptation by Malinda Lo and Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst signed (and I can't wait to read either—if only I had more time!), hanging out with my friend Kelsey who blogs at The Book Scout, my favorite editor at St. Martin's, and one of my former bosses at Lee & Low.

The very next day, I went all the way to Brooklyn for the annual Brooklyn Book Festival. I went for the first time last year and had a great time, so I knew this year's event would be a good excuse to get out. I attended the last four panels at the Youth Stoop, featuring many, many YA authors. 

Jeopardy: moderator Zoraida Cordova & panelists Natalie Standiford, Libba Bray, and Daniel Nayeri
It's a Hard Knock Life: moderator Jennifer Castle & panelists Susane Colasanti, Louise Rozett, and Barry Lyga
Ghosts, Goddesses, and Wolves: moderator Jessica Shirvington & panelists Kendare Blake, Andrea Cremer, and Malinda Lo

As you can see, there are only three pictures even though I attended four panels. That's because between the first and second picture, while I was at the Love Will Keep Us Together Panel featuring Simone Elkeles, Carolyn Mackler, and Melissa Walker and moderated by Christopher Grant, I somehow forgot that a) I had a camera, and b) that I should take pictures. But let's just blame it on me being in the sun for too long.

As I was chilling in the shade in between panels, I spotted a handful of other authors in the crowd, including Gayle Forman, Jon Yang, Alison Cherry, and Lindsay Ribar. But as I had a pile of homework to get back to, I kept my socializing, sadly, to a minimum.

Finally, last Tuesday, I returned to Books of Wonder for the launch party for Burn for Burn by Siobhan Vivian and Jenny Han. Before the event actually started, everybody mingled about and sampled from the ice cream bar (yum!).

"Revenge is a dish best served cold," at the ice cream bar
Siobhan Vivian & Jenny Han

Then Jenny and Siobhan sat to introduce the audience to their new book. Each read a brief segment from Burn for Burn, from two different characters' perspectives, and then they took questions from the audience. It was very interesting to hear how the two worked together in drafting and revising the novel and how they got into the perspectives of certain characters to the extent that they would argue with each other, like those characters!

I had a fabulous time snacking on some ice cream and chatting with some very lovely people, including authors Alison Cherry, Lindsay Ribar, Adele Griffin, Courtney Sheinmel, and the most wonderful Siobhan Vivian; favorite publishing people from Macmillan, Disney, and Simon & Schuster; and others.

I also managed to snag (and get signed) a couple of super cool Burn for Burn posters:


I'm obviously keeping one, but the other one is totally up for grabs here!

CONTEST CLOSED

(1) lucky winner will receive a signed Burn for Burn poster

To enter this contest, please fill out this form:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFFuV1lOLW9NOHNic19SM0w4eUZSamc6MQ

Other details:
  • US mailing addresses only.
  • Contest ends 10/09/12, at 9 p.m. EST.
Remember, you must complete the form to be entered, and only one form submission per person will be counted. If you have any questions about this contest, see my contest policy, or contact me and ask away.

1 munch(es) :

holdenj said...

Books of Wonder is such a great name for that store. You always attend such wonderful events there! Thanks for the updates.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.