As you may or may not know, I was the featured blogger for the final stop on the Fierce Reads tour this season, at Books of Wonder in NYC. Now, what does that mean? Well, aside from getting the fancy title of "featured blogger," I also got to chat with the four authors on tour, Gennifer Albin, Leigh Bardugo, Caragh M. O'Brien, and Marie Rutkoski, before their event started.
Since everyone was a little worn out (the authors from their tour, and me from my homework), we just sat together and had a casual conversation. I learned that despite a few snags (like how Gennifer Albin could have gotten arrested!), their tour had been going great so far. Here are a few other things that I learned:
(1) Caragh O'Brien came in third place in a state fencing competition.
(2) Leigh Bardugo almost died from being dared to eat an entire calla lily when she was 7.
(3) Gennifer Albin is afraid of going down escalators, especially with luggage.
(4) Marie Rutkoski has large sections of dialogue from The Princess Bride memorized.
One of these things is actually not true. If you can figure it out (or guess correctly), then this might work in your favor for what comes at the end of this blog post (I'll give you a very obvious hint: contest!).
Anyway, after our little chat, the authors and I headed to the back of the bookstore for the actual event.
|Caragh O'Brien & Gennifer Albin|
|Marie Rutkoski & Leigh Bardugo|
Each author introduced her new book and talked a little about how those stories came to be. The Q&A with the audience then led to a lot of lively and interesting discussions about inspiration, writing process, YA, and reading audience. Needless to say, everyone was thoroughly entertained at this event. I especially had a great time talking to each of the featured authors, especially the lovely Caragh O'Brien who I've met before a couple times.
(1) lucky winner will receive signed copies of Birthmarked, Prized, and Promised by Caragh M. O'Brien; The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski; Crewel by Gennifer Albin; & Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
courtesy of Macmillan
- US mailing addresses only.
- Contest ends 11/10/12, at 9 p.m. EST.