-->
young adult book reviews & more

Interview with Katie Kacvinsky

The First Comes Love paperback has a new cover! How do you feel about its new packaging and design?
I love the new cover. It reminds me of Stargirl, and that’s one of my favorite covers of all time. I like it when covers avoid using characters, so that readers can imagine them for themselves. I also love the cactus heart; it’s very fitting for the male character (Gray).

What were you trying to accomplish when you started writing First Comes Love? What do you feel you’ve accomplished with the finished product?
I was trying to vent. One of my best friends had recently lost her brother, and watching her go through the grieving process was so heavy, and I felt so helpless to comfort her, that I started writing First Comes Love as a way to expel all of these emotions cramming my head. I also wanted to write a realistic relationship story. Falling in love is easy, but staying in love and making it last is work and commitment.

Which of your characters in this book can you relate to most, and why?
Both. I am 50% Gray and 50% Dylan. Even my editor told me that the reason this story works is because Gray and Dylan are me. I suppose this is true. I have two extreme sides to my personality, one upbeat and adventurous and the other closed off and cynical.

Your two series, Awaken and First Comes Love, have very different settings, but both focus on relationships. What is it that draws you to this topic?
I love relationship stories. I think it’s so strange and mysterious to see who we are attracted to and who we connect with. The people that we invest our time in say so much about who we are.

What is the most interesting thing you learned while writing First Comes Love? (This can be about yourself, about writing, or anything at all).
I learned that I don’t believe in love at first sight. I learned that relationships build over time and experiences. I also learned that it’s more important to love people on their worst days than on their best.

What is the most rewarding part about being a young adult author?
There are so many “firsts” when you are young. First love. First heartbreak. First road trip. First job. In my experience, “firsts” are very overwhelming. I think that’s why I love writing YA books. There is endless drama.

If there was one thing you could change about First Comes Love, what would it be?
The design on the hardcover. I know it’s “steamy” but I personally don’t like steamy covers.

What are you working on next?
Well, I wrote a sequel to First Comes Love, titled Second Chance. The Gray and Dylan saga continues…and there will be a third and final book to wrap up their story. At the moment I’m concentrating on finishing the last book in the Awaken series.

0 munch(es) :

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.