-->
young adult book reviews & more

Chasing Windmills by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Chasing Windmills (Vintage)One fateful night, a young man and woman meet on the subway. Few words are exchanged, yet a powerful connection is forged. Each is trying to escape their life, the boy Sebastian from a controlling father and the woman Maria from her controlling boyfriend. But the first time their eyes meet, they fall in love. Their nightly subway rides provide refuge from their unsatisfying lives, and soon a dream is born: Maria and Sebastian, now nicknamed Tony, plan to move to the Mojave Desert to start a new life. But Maria hasn’t told Tony/Sebastian about her history, complicating their lives even farther. But their plans have already been made, and Maria feels compelled to follow through.

Chasing Windmills is a beautiful retelling of West Side Story, although a much more hopeful one. I really fell in love with this story, especially the strong connection between Maria and Sebastian. Their bond was so strong that even though they didn’t really know each other that well, they could predict each other’s thoughts. Both Maria and Sebastian were well-developed characters and I sometimes felt I was inside their heads; the story was that realistic.

I really enjoyed how Chasing Windmills was more optimistic than West Side Story and Romeo and Juliet and the self journeys Maria and Sebastian went through. The story was truly unforgettable and I had a hard time putting the book down. I definitely recommend it, especially to fans of unique love stories, and I look forward to reading more of the talented Catherine Ryan Hyde’s novels.

Rating: 4.5

Review copy from author Catherine Ryan Hyde

23 munch(es) :

RR2 said...

Ever since I read this book, I've been wanting to watch West Side Story.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book! It's a great story! It's one of my favorite that I've read this year.

Tali said...

hey can we do a link exchange, I always look at your blog its really cool

Readingjunky said...

I also truly enjoyed this book.

sweetmelissa818 said...

Sounds wonderful! I've got this on my TBR list!

asdfjkl; said...

Now this book sounds great! And a little romantic under a heavy atmosphere... I have a feeling I'm going to like it.

Amanda said...

It sounds good.
I'll have to check it out.

Shalonda said...

West Side Story is one of my favorite love stories of all time. I need to add this to my list of wants!

Liviania said...

Shouldn't it just be retelling of Romeo and Juliet, since that's what West Side Story is? This one sounds cool, but I'm not sure I'd like it since I don't like West Side Story. (The dancing, finger snapping gang members. It just doesn't work when you've experienced real gangs.)

Brooke Reviews said...

I enjoyed R&J, but same as Liviania I never got into WSS. :) This sounds good though!

katayoun said...

i love wss, though i would never like to see it again, it's just too sad!

donnas said...

Sounds great. That is one of my favorite themes.

Mandy said...

I've been wanting to read this book very badly. Great review, but gosh, you have me wanting to read this even more.

Katie said...

Great review. You really make me want to read this book. I love West Side Story and now can't wait to get this book.

Genevieve said...

I really have been wanting to read this book. I just got "Becoming Chloe" a few days ago by Catherine Ryan Hyde.

Anonymous said...

Great review, I liked your comparison to West Side Story. If I can, Ill pick up the book.
lizzieland@optonline.net

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I really loved this too. And I've read Becoming Chloe by Catherine and that's great. I want to read more by her as well. :)

-Lauren
lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

Korianne said...

I have always hated the ending to West Side Story, so this more hopeful version really attracts me. Becoming Chloe is on my TBR pile, but if I get this one from bookmooch I would love to read it first.

Anonymous said...

I am such a sucker for any type of star-crossed lovers story.

Anonymous said...

This looks like such a cute read! I love stories where strangers meet & bond.

Anonymous said...

This book sounds cute! The cover is kind of scary though haha..

Michelle Kuo said...

I love books wear it seems like one of the protagonists is hiding secrets! This book seems really interesting, the title already got me wondering what it's about.

Paradox said...

This sounds like a great book! And I love the title. Plus, it's a Romeo and Juliet story... without the despair and suicide (I hope.)

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.