-->
young adult book reviews & more

Read My Lips by Teri Brown

Read My LipsAll Serena really wants at her new school is to fit in, but when you’re deaf, that’s not so easy. When some A-listers discover Serena’s talent for reading lips, they offer her the chance to get in with them. But acceptance come with a price – the popular girls have enlisted her to spy and uncover any and every secret that’s of use to them. But is getting into the in-crown really what a skater chick like Serena really wants, or is this new job of snooping showing her true colors as a conforming prep?

I had mixed reactions about Read My Lips. I’ll start with main character Serena. While it was stated several times that she used to be a skater chick, I never really felt that it was rooted into her personality; it seemed to me that it was only an explanation to why Serena didn’t feel completely comfortable hanging out with the popular girls. Despite that, I really liked Serena as the protagonist, because while she is insecure and sometimes dishonest, she eventually comes to her senses and does the right thing; her flaws make her more realistic. As for other characters, I really like how Serena’s popular friends actually had good hearts. Miller is a different story; you never really learn much about him except for what Serena sees: that he is hot and that he loves her. I would’ve liked to know more about him. The plot wasn’t terrible exciting at all times, and I found it odd that at Serena’s new school everyone was a “cookie-cutter prep.” However, there were some catfights, and I guess that small-town schools aren’t as diverse as those in big cities.

I believe that the good aspects of this novel definitely outweighed the bad, and I enjoyed reading Read My Lips. It’s definitely like Gossip Girl, but with much more integrity. Read My Lips is a guilty-pleasure read with meaning.

Rating: 3.75

Review copy from personal collection

6 munch(es) :

Jessica Burkhart said...

I liked RML, too. :)

Ashley said...

i've heard this book was good. nice review! it helped me! :)

Carolina said...

Hmm... this books sounds good. I'll check it out.

books-a-lishious said...

this is kind of off topic, but i'm having a contest over at my blog (bbamb.blogspot.com) for my "grand opening" check it out whenevr you have time!

Lenore Appelhans said...

The skater chick thing kinda bothered me too - but apparently that was what everyone was like at her old school - showing maybe the lengths she went to in order to fit in there.

Anonymous said...

Love this Book ...

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.