-->
young adult book reviews & more

Identical by Ellen Hopkins

IdenticalOn the outside, Kaeleigh and Raeanne look exactly the same but their appearances are as far as their similarities go. Although their family may seem perfect, it is in reality the definition of dysfunction. The twins’ politician mother is constantly away from home to campaign, and in the absence of his wife, their district-court judge father transfers his love to Kaeleigh. In turn, Raeanne is jealous in a sick way, because she feels Daddy is favoring Kaeleigh over her, and so she turns to drugs, alcohol, and sex. Each twin harbors her own demons, but neither can handle the pressure on her own. Will the secrets force their way out or will they destroy the twins from the inside out?

Identical is a truly disturbing, impossibly real, and extremely difficult to put down no matter how sick and creepy the story may be. It deals with all facets of dysfunction: abuse, cutting, addiction, disorders, and their effects in teens’ lives. Though the story told isn’t by any means a “good” story, Hopkins is a fantastic storyteller and I have to say I love her writing style. The twins are surprisingly easy to relate to even in their extreme situations, and I think my shock over how horribly wrong Kaeleigh’s and Raeanne’s lives were and a slim hope that they would improve is what kept me reading. Hopkins’characters are just so compelling, and this makes their stories so unforgettable no matter how hard I try to forget the major creep factor.

The authenticity of this story will appeal to all teens, even the ones who don’t normally read. Identical will also gain a similar audience to that of Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott. I look forward to reading Hopkins’ other novels, Crank, Burned, Impulse, and Glass.

Rating: 4.5

Review copy from Amazon Vine

28 munch(es) :

Leigh Purtill said...

I love dark stories and this one sounds terrific. Also in verse?

Serena said...

What an interesting concept for a book.

Amanda said...

I loved Identical
My favorite Ellen Hopkins book.

Anonymous said...

When I read the summary, Living Dead Girl popped straight into my mind.

sweetmelissa818 said...

The area where I live has terrible meth problems (we were even featured in the documentary American Meth), so I always get depressed by Ellen Hopkins. I love the books anyway!

asdfjkl; said...

This isn't really my kind of book because its sounds creepy and depressing, but since I've heard so much about this book and the author's geniusness I may have to check my library for it and give it a try...

Amanda said...

Ellen Hopkins is one of my favorite authors! This one was hard to put down.

Shalonda said...

I've never read an Ellen Hopkins book, but I hear they stick with you for awhile. The one I most want to read is Impulse. It sounds intriguing.

Liviania said...

I'm not really interested in this one because it sounds to sordid to me. When too many problems pile up the books seem to unreal to me, and I enjoy the presence of hope (which you say is slim in this story).

Brooke Reviews said...

This book sounds SO good! :D It's been on my amazon wishlist for awhile.

katayoun said...

the book sounds interesting, though i am not sure that i would like to read something this real and dark

donnas said...

I like dark books and I love it when the characters are compelling and you want to read about them.

Mandy said...

Sounds a bit creepy, but a good creepy book is always fun. :) I think I'll have to check it out soon. Great review.

Genevieve said...

Hmm... It sounds good. But very creepy. You're review makes me want to read it, but I hope that its not too creepy for me.

Anonymous said...

I love Ellen Hopkins but her books always scare me, I can honestly say that because of Crank I will never try drugs.
lizzieland@optonline.net

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I've only read a short story by Ellen, but her books sound amazing and I want to read them as well. This book just seems like one of those WOW types. I really really want to read it sooooo much.

-Lauren
lauren51990 AT aol DOT com

Korianne said...

Sydney and Brooke just turned me on to Ellen's books, but I currently own 2 of her books and they still sit in the TBR pile. How sad it is to have books to read and no time to do it!

Anonymous said...

I have to say that I've never really wanted to pick up one of Ellen Hopkins's books... maybe because they always look sort of sensationalistic to me. Sort of how I felt about that movie THIRTEEN (with Evan Rachel Wood -- who I love). I'm interested to see your very positive review, though.

xdeex said...

I will definitely read this book! It sounds really interesting.

Anonymous said...

This book looks super creepy.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really interesting but at the same time..scary.

Michelle Kuo said...

I've heard before that Ellen Hopkins was a great author but I never actually read any of her books. Identical sounds really interesting!

Paradox said...

Identical sounds disturbing, but I've read some of Ellen Hopkins' verse, and she is great at it! The shiny cover is nice too!

Anonymous said...

it was awesome!
ive read it and you wont regret it
go buy it now.

Anonymous said...

I read this book in less than a week.
I couldn't put it down.
I stayed up for HOURS reading it.
It's amazing.
By far my favorite.
And I've read all of her books.
:]

Anonymous said...

my favorite book hands down. It kept me wanting to read it.

Mioko said...

I really enjoyed this book. Yes, the story of the twins' lives, is horrifying but this is happening everywhere today.


I myself, have an identical twin sister..

Mioko said...

I can also say, i've been through almost all of the situations the twins went through; the book never scared me, or creeped me out.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.