-->
young adult book reviews & more

Absolutely Maybe by Lisa Yee

Absolutely MaybeMaybelline Mary Katherine Mary Ann Chestnut, named for her mother Chessy’s favorite brand of mascara and two Miss Americas although better known as Maybe, pretty much hates her life in Kissimmee, Florida. Maybe’s mother isn’t silent about how she despises Maybe’s appearance, but that’s about as far as mother-daughter contact goes. It seems Chessy likes her charm school students and beauty pageant winners better than her own daughter. After six husbands, none of which were actually Maybe’s biological father, Chessy is getting ready to marry the seventh, a total sleaze that she chooses over Maybe. Finally fed up with her messed-up life, Maybe decides to hitch a ride to LA with her best friends Ted and Hollywood in order to find her father. And what they find there will surprise them and change their lives forever.

I found Absolutely Maybe to be an incredibly lovable and authentic story. Maybe’s character was so well-written; I love her spunky attitude, fierce determination, and independence, and I could even related to many of her problems. Nothing in this story was romanticized; Maybe’s life was told as it was, even the lowest parts. Maybe became so real to me that I was a little uncomfortable and embarrassed when I read how she was temporarily without a place to sleep or even enough food to eat. All the seemingly hopeless dilemmas Maybe found herself fin contrasted nicely with the many kind interventions from both friends and strangers. I really enjoyed seeing Maybe’s anger diminish as she started to sort out her life but was glad she remained a fighter. The ending may seem a little unfinished, but I felt the story wrapped up as neatly as it could considering Maybe’s independent nature. Overall, I felt Absolutely Maybe to be a good and believable story about self-discovery and reconciliation.

I immensely enjoyed this fantastic novel and look forward to more great stories from Lisa Yee. Readers who enjoyed C. Leigh Purtill’s Love, Meg will also love this similar story.

Rating: 5.0

Review copy from Amazon Vine

6 munch(es) :

Unknown said...

Love this description. I will go check this book out... (and I loved how her name is Maybe--very clever!)

Lenore Appelhans said...

Hehe! Just like cousin Maybey on Arrested Development (LOVE that show). I have this one in my review pile too and am looking forward to it!

Ashley said...

Sounds interesting!

Jessica Burkhart said...

I can't wait to read this! :)

Bookworm said...

Can't wait to read this one!

Bookworm said...

Oh-i've nominated you for the I HEART YOUR BLOG award! See my blog for details.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.