-->
young adult book reviews & more

You Are So Undead to Me by Stacey Jay

You Are So Undead to Me (Megan Berry, Book 1)All Megan Berry wants is a normal life, but since she’s a Settler by birth, it’s her job to send Undead back to their final resting place, the grave. And even is her powers did lapse for a few years, giving her just a taste of normalcy, they return stronger than ever when fifteen-going-on-sixteen Megan is just about to go on a date with the hottest guy in school. And now that Megan has her Settler powers back, her chances of going to homecoming and making the pom squad are severely diminished, especially because someone at school is using black magic to raise Reanimated Corpses or Zombies. And as the RC attacks become more frequent and dangerous, Megan starts to realize that the plot is more sinister than she could ever imagine, even if her fellow Settlers don’t believe her. And so, it’s all up to Megan alone, it seems, to save the day, and homecoming, before it’s too late.

You Are So Undead to Me is a story with a unique idea but unfortunately subpar execution. My main problem were the characters; they were much too stereotypical. Ethan is the characteristic crush who eventually falls for the heroine, Monica is your typical evil popular girl in the way of said heroine’s plans for rising on the social ladder and getting the guy, and Megan is the girl who fights against what she is. Also, it’s been a while since I’ve had to call a character annoying, but that is what Megan is; her snarky and shallow thoughts soon get old and her boy distractions are too common and only distract from the main storyline. The plot was mostly predictable except for one commendable twist. I felt there some gaps in the story’s background that bothered me; for example, Settlers are born with power, but how do black magic practitioners, who aren’t born with that power, then gain some to perform their evil spells? In all, You Are So Undead to Me is amusing for a light read but not so great once you look beneath the surface.

You Are So Undead to Me may be popular among fans of the supernatural. Readers who enjoyed Revealers by Amanda Marrone will also like this novel.

Rating: 3.0

Review copy from BookDivas

7 munch(es) :

Steph Su said...

Thanks for the honest review. I have my reservations about this one as well. We'll see when I read it!

Donna (Bites) said...

That's disappointing but I'm probably still going to read it anyway. It's on my library list.

Just Your Typical Book Blog said...

This book looks great!

We nominated your blog for the I Love Your Blog award. You can check out our blog and pick up your badge and get the rules on how to keep spreading it. =D

Happy Blogging & Reading!

Amelia said...

I nominated you for an award

http://bookjunkiereviews.blogspot.com/

Bookworm said...

It looks cute, but ick about the stereotypes, I hate those. With a passion. I still can't wait for my copy to come in the mail! (: Great, honest review!

Diana Dang said...

Hm, I was planning to look into it but I guess I will have delay on that.

Liz said...

When I first saw this on the book shelf I thought the idea was great...but the execution...ehhh...let's just say I wouldn't have bought it if I had known.

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.