-->
young adult book reviews & more

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)Against staggering odds, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark of District 12 have somehow won the annual Hunger Games. But the fruits of triumph are bittersweet. Success in the arena means a life without want in the Victor’s Village, but extravagant food and a nice place to sleep can only provide so much comfort when an increasing amount of one’s life must be faked for the protection of those one loves. That’s exactly Katniss’s predicament, because she when she held up the poisonous berries in the arena, it was interpreted as an act of defiance against the Capitol rather than Katniss’s strong will to life. And now the girl on fire has become the spark for rebellion—a rebellion the Capitol is determined to stamp out at any cost.

I must commend Collins for writing such a phenomenal sequel to The Hunger Games as Catching Fire is. It’s everything I hoped for and even more than I expected. Katniss’s legend lives on in this action packed, suspense filled drama in which one’s friends are nearly indistinguishable from one’s enemies and ambiguous meanings make life into one giant maze. Collins takes her portrayal of a dystopian future to the next level in this novel by highlighting the extent of the power the totalitarian Capitol wields and the beginnings of long suppressed dissent. Catching Fire is such an engrossing read, thanks to Collins’s well written and executed plot, vivid and realistic characters, and the resulting sense of revolutionary fear. It’s so easy to lose track of time while reading this novel, because the story just flows from the page so fluidly; I really enjoyed the many plot twists and the development of each character. The only times I had to pause while reading were due to the multitude of names and minor characters that are somewhat difficult to remember. But overall, Catching Fire is a story so overwhelmingly incredible, no reader will want to put it down.

Catching Fire and its prequel The Hunger Games are must reads for all readers not just because they are such interesting stories but because they show the nasty side of politics and culture not enough of us are aware of. This trilogy will be especially enjoyed by fans of the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, Cherry Heaven by L.J. Adlington, Shift by Charlotte Agell, Daylight Runner by Oisín McGann, and the Poison Study trilogy by Maria V. Snyder. I know that I, along with throngs of others, can’t wait for the conclusion to this trilogy.

Rating: 5.0

Review copy from publisher Scholastic

22 munch(es) :

Eleni said...

Great review, I just started reading it, so I hope I like it as much as you did :)

-Eleni

Unknown said...

I have been wanting to read this trilogy for a while, but I get mixed reviews on it from people. I think I just need to suck it up and give it a shot. So many people are saying the second book is amazing and I am about to go to get it today I think :) great review, you dragged me in!

Jessica B said...

I've just started Catching Fire! That's all I'm gonna say-I gotta get reading.

shutupimreading.blogspot.com
Jessica

Priya said...

I just finished Catching Fire... I completely agree with you. It was amazing.

Heather Zundel said...

Okay, it's actually you're "comparison" books that are getting me. I have loved/heard so many good things about them. But I have never heard of Daylight Runner. That may be one of my next pick-ups at the library. Great review too, by the way.

Sandy said...

fantastic review! I can't wait to get my hands on Catching Fire now...

Angiegirl said...

Good call with the POISON STUDY rec. I think fans of one would really appreciate the other. There's a certain ruthlessness common to both books/series. Collins really did take it to the next level with this one. I loved it!

Unknown said...

All the reviews I've read for Catching Fire have been positive, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy! Great review by the way!

Debs Desk said...

Great review. I cant wait to read this book.
Thanks
Debbie

melissa @ 1lbr said...

I agree that I haven't heard of many of your read-alikes. I will definitely have to put them on my list, since I ADORED Catching Fire.

jlarkin said...

I LOVED this book too - I'm anxiously awaiting Book Three and hope we don't have to wait too long! We blogged about it here...

http://blogs.ellingtonschools.org/larkin/

Eliza said...

I love, lo9ve, love this book!!! I can not wait for the third one!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I wait for the third book to be released! I may go crazy! That cliff-hanger ending was a killer.

Sara said...

This book seems even better than the Hunger Games!! I can't wait to read it!

sara

Janssen said...

Somehow I haven't really connected it with Uglies, but you're right - they do have a lot of similarities!

Iroquois Girl said...

now i really cant wait to read it!
i'd been nervous about being disappointed by the buildup over the past year, but 5.0 looks like i needn't worry :)
-Bella

Froggy said...

This books sounds sooo good! I so want to read it!1 Great review! :)

Anonymous said...

I just got finished reading it and now I'm counting how long until I can get my hands of the third book! (who's title has still yet to come out *_* )

Wrighty said...

I loved the first book and I really hoped the second one would be as good. Almost all of the reviews said it was better! I can't wait to read it and your review has made me even more anxious.

Megan said...

This book looks so amazing! I am so excited to read it. Thanks for the review!

Briana said...

I love Catching Fire!! I was so happy to finally read it after waiting so long! Cant wait for the 3rd one! Nice review!! :)

-Arielle

Paradox said...

I haven't read The Hunger Games yet, let alone Catching Fire, but I really want to read a series that is this GOOD!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.