-->
young adult book reviews & more

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins is Munch-Worthy

Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games)

EDIT: Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she’s made it out of the bloody arena alive, she’s still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. Who do they think should pay for the unrest? Katniss. And what’s worse, President Snow has made it clear that no one else is safe either. Not Katniss’s family, not her friends, not the people of District 12. Powerful and haunting, this thrilling final installment of Suzanne Collins’s groundbreaking The Hunger Games trilogy promises to be one of the most talked about books of the year.

As you have so intelligently noticed, there is no summary for the third and final (at least it should be final, considering it is called a trilogy, but then again, there has been a precedent in breaking that rule) novel in the Hunger Games trilogy. Why? Because if there had been a summary, that would be way too revealing. So except for a select few special people, like the author herself and her editor David Levithan, nobody knows anything about this highly anticipated novel.

So why do I want to read Mockingjay? First of all, it's the last book in a trilogy that is exciting, well written, and relevant. That's like a major duh. Secondly, it's the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy. That's pretty much all that anyone needs to justify wanting to read this book (except for those select few that don't like the trilogy, of course).

I have to say that I'm not too enamored with the cover art. I guess after the contrast and brightness from the covers of The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, respectively, this palish blue seems a little limp. The color is not as strong and fierce, or eye catching, as black or red. In my humble opinion, gold or goldenrod yellow would've been better. But who am I? Not the cover designer.

Oh yeah, and for those of you who didn't know, if you order Mockingjay now on Amazon, you'll save over 50%. I on the other hand might get lucky and receive an ARC. But then again, that might just be wishful thinking. EDIT: So no ARC, but I WILL GET MY HANDS ON A COPY. Believe it.

Releases August 24, 2010 from Scholastic Press.

7 munch(es) :

Morgan said...

I'm so excited for this book! And just to let you know: there actually is a summary on goodreads for Mockingjay and it sounds as good as it looks.

Jessica Love said...

I heard there aren't going to be any ARCs for this book!

Anonymous said...

Jessica is right. No ARCs available for this one (:

J Wiles Parker said...

Agreed about the cover art. Disappointed after the amazingness of the previous two. (This one is much too, um, pastel, perhaps?)
Also looking forward to this one, very much. I was a little late in coming to The Hunger Games, but that helped because I didn't have to wait nearly as long for Catching Fire. At the moment, this is the one book I'm most looking forward to getting my hands on.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I was just talking about this book with my friend as I handed her Catching Fire. This is such a good series and I too am so pumped for the big finale!

Heather Zundel said...

Actually, I am quite taken with the cover. Granted, the mockingjay looks a little too CG for my tastes, but I think the lightness of the tone actually makes it stand out more. And look carefully at the progression of the mockingjay. At first, it is the pin, completely enclosed. Then in Catching Fire, the bird is free standing, but it looks like a target or the scope of a gun has it in its sight (just like the Capital had in keeping an "eye" on Katniss). And then, in this one, the Mockingjay is real, and completely free.

Also, look at the "abstract" designs in the first two. They both focus in on the mockingjay, like they are honing in. In this one? They are shattered apart. I think they are telling us something about the story after all. :)

Anonymous said...

That's 4 days after my Birthday!!! Yeah!! whoohoo!! =D

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.