-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Society of S by Susan Hubbard

The Society of S: A NovelAriella Montero isn’t like other thirteen-year-old girls. She’s spent most of her life sheltered in a large Victorian mansion in Saratoga Springs, and the only people she has regular interaction with include her father, a family friend named Dennis, and the housekeeper Mrs. McGarritt. While Ari can clearly understand great works of literature thanks to her classical education, she’s not in touch with the real world until she makes her first friend. But just as Ari is getting used to her new life, a series of secrets and revelations send it spinning out of control once more. When Ari’s best friend is murdered, Ari no longer knows what to do, so she runs away to find her mother who disappeared the day Ari was born. What Ari finds is adventure, danger, and possibly the truth.

The Society of S is certainly one of the most singular and complex vampire stories I’ve ever read. The young age of protagonist Ari makes it seem like this is a YA novel; however, Hubbard’s detailed writing, Ari’s precocity and maturity, and the many layers to this story will appeal to the adult audient as well. If you asked me what stood out to me in this novel, I probably couldn’t tell you. All the elements of this story by themselves are rather ordinary: the characters are mysterious but realistic enough, the plot isn’t boring but all major action is downplayed, and the vampire angle is present throughout most of the book but isn’t overdone. When all of these pieces are put together, however, the effect is great and you get such a unique story like The Society of S. I was really drawn into Ari’s story due to a combination of all these aforementioned details and can’t wait to read the rest of the series.

Readers who enjoyed Eighth Grade Bites by Heather Brewer, Firespell by Chloe Neill, and Twilight by Stephenie Meyer will enjoy The Society of S even if it’s not completely action packed. I look forward to reading this novel’s sequels, The Year of Disappearances and The Season of Risks.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from publisher Simon & Schuster

15 munch(es) :

Liviania said...

I have all three of these, but haven't read them yet! I must fix that.

Anonymous said...

This book sounds fantastic. I only heard about it a little while ago but it quickly made its way onto my TBR list. Thanks for the review! :)

Linda Henderson said...

This sounds like a very interesting book. I'll look forward to reading it.

donnas said...

Great review. Sounds like a really good book. Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy.

Angela said...

Sounds like a good book. I can't wait to read it.

Nina Cook said...

Sounds good - I have gotten it from the library . . . YAY!!

Erika Powell said...

great review, it made me look to see if my library has it. now in my TBR list

Zubinina said...

I've already put it on my wish list/
TBR pile!

EmilyJoy said...

Great review. This is definitely on my list of future reads!

ossmcalc said...

I can definitely see why you rated this book as 4.0. I have lots of questions that I would like to have answered while reading this book. For example, why did Ari's mother leave the day that she was born? This sounds like a great book to read.

Serena said...

I've heard some great things about this book and would love to get my hands on a copy. thanks for the glowing review.

shaunesay said...

sounds right up my alley, thanks for the review, as I had not heard of this series before!

LAMusing said...

Well, you've intrigued me with your review :)

adrianecoros(at)gmail(dot)com

Ladytink_534 said...

I love vampires so I'm curious as to what you mean by they're not overdone. It sounds like an interesting story.

Princess Z said...

Sounds Interesting! Can't WAIT to read it!

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.