-->
young adult book reviews & more

Who's RAD? Karen Metcalf!


I haven't had a RAD post in a while, so let's all get excited for this one! Please give a warm welcome to Karen Metcalf, author of a YA speculative fiction novella called Into the Storm. 

_________________________________________________________________

Random Q&A:

What is your favorite onomatopoeia?
Hmmm…. and Shazaam!

What is the strangest thing you have ever done? (Please keep this appropriate!)
One time on the interstate, I blew my car horn at an 18-wheeler that cut me off. My horn got stuck on full blast, so I pulled over and shut the car off. After about 10 minutes, the stupid horn stopped, only to find out that my car wouldn’t shift out of park. Apparently car horns in old Subaru’s are connected to the tail light. If the tail light doesn’t work, then the car won’t shift out of park. I paid $95 for the tow just for a fuse and this fun little lesson. Oh, and I could have bypassed the whole thing with a screwdriver. That was pretty strange.

What’s the most embarrassing outfit you’ve ever been caught in? Or, if you are so fashion forward, what outfit would you not want to be caught dead in?
Ha! I have never in my life been described as fashion forward! I had a last minute invite to prom my 9th grade year. I had to raid local dresses, which ranged from 80’s sequins to pageant wear. I had a horrible “farmer’s tan” and no time to fix it. Also, my heels were like 8 inches and looked like something from the Spice Girls. I still wore glasses, and I had big bangs. That was pretty rough.

Describe yourself in 3 words.
According to my mother: “Strong Willed Child”

If you were stranded on an island, what 3 things would you take with you? (Assume you have the bare necessities).
Extra contacts?
Ereader (yes, that’s a cheat because I can have all my books on it!)
Boyfriend
(in that order, lol.)

_________________________________________________________________

the guest blog:

When I was thinking up guest post topics someone recommended that I discuss my favorite love story. Surprisingly, I didn’t think of a book. I thought of my grandmother, Granny Franny. I’ll try to be brief, but I hope I give her story justice.

She was under some pressure from her best friend to meet up with some guy named “Stash”, but their schedules just weren’t matching up. Granny Franny was helping host a social event, and their venue fell through. Her best friend’s husband, an architect, stepped in and volunteered a building the architects used. Once at the party, she met a man name Bob, another architect, who had the task of watching over the event to make sure all went well with the building.

The two really hit it off and she even talked him into heading out on the dance floor against his better judgment. They were dancing the night away when Bob realized he was about to miss his ride, and had to leave without even saying goodnight. Very Cinderella-esque.

She was a bit disappointed, and probably assumed the worst. The next day her friend asked her what she thought of “Stash”, which turned out to be Bob’s nickname. So this is how Fran came to meet Bob Metcalf, my grandfather. Obviously, he made up for it.

They had a long marriage, and two kids. I’m told they were more in love than most couples can ever hope to be. I love to hear stories of their marriage, and know that he absolutely adored her.

Unfortunately, my grandfather passed away before I was able to establish many memories of him, but I did love my Granny Franny. I remember her as a short little thing, and very feisty. She never edited herself, and I loved her spirit. We lost her as well in 2006, and miss her dearly.

I can only hope to be half as lucky as they were to have each other. All a girl ever wants is for someone to love her for who she is, and I know that Granny Franny had that and more.

_________________________________________________________________

Thanks so much Karen for this wonderful post! I know I greatly enjoyed reading your Q&A responses and guest blog.

And don't forget to visit Karen on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AuthorKarenMetcalf and fan her page for In the Storm: http://www.facebook.com/InTheStormNovella.

2 munch(es) :

Jan von Harz said...

What a great interview and guest post. I adored Granny Franny's story of how she met her hubby and Karen's grandfather. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Karen, you did the story justice and brought tears to my eyes. My mother would be so pleased, and so would Dad. They really did have a special love connection and she loved him just as much as he adored her. The passionate Sicilian woman meets the intellectual German-English gentleman and they somehow made it work for 40+ years. We should all be so blessed...

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.