-->
young adult book reviews & more

The Sweetest Thing by Christina Mandelski

The Sweetest ThingSheridan Wells’ life revolves around cake. She loves decorating cakes. It’s the one thing that she is truly passionate about and what calms her down in times of stress. But unfortunately, there are other things in life aside from cake, like the fact that her mother left years ago, her father’s obsession with getting a cooking show, and her glaring lack of boyfriend. So Sheridan does what any girl would do in her situation—she comes up with a plan. Basically, she’s going to find her mom, convince her to come back home, and prevent her dad from moving to New York for a cooking show, all to bring her family back together. But with a couple of boys and previously unknown family history in the mix, Sheridan’s plans are going to go far from smoothly. Sheridan may be Cake Girl, the superhero of cake decorating, but can she save the mess that’s been made of her life?

I started reading The Sweetest Thing expecting a cute yet meaningful romance in the vein of Sarah Dessen. When I started reading, I was initially disappointed because I was not immediately sympathetic or empathetic towards protagonist Sheridan. I found it a little difficult to adjust to the realities of her life with a famous chef for a dad, an absentee mother, and a wacky but endearing grandmother; however, once I did, I quite enjoyed the story, in fact much more than I thought I would, based on my first impressions. Mandelski is able to convey such depth of emotion in Sheridan’s character that the reader can truly feel as Sheridan does with each new difficulty she encounters. That as well as the inevitable romance is what ultimately won me over. There is just something so, well, sweet about this book that will make readers laugh, cry, and smile. This is a good, if not great, romantic story with a cake decorating twist, but I see a lot of potential in Mandelski’s writing, and I look forward to see what she comes out with next.

The Sweetest Thing is sure to be enjoyed by Sarah Dessen and Deb Caletti fans. Readers who also liked A Little Friendly Advice by Siobhan Vivian and For Keeps by Natasha Friend will also want to take a look at this book.

Rating: 4.0

Review copy from publisher EgmontUSA

1 munch(es) :

Briana said...

I wanted this but the line was closed before I got to it at BEA! It was great standing with you for a few lines today =)

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.