-->
young adult book reviews & more

Events recap

Last week, I made it to two pretty fantastic events!

On Sunday, I was almost late to Libba Bray's event at Symphony Space (I had thought that I had enough time to go to Trader Joe's beforehand, drop off my groceries, and get to the event, but unfortunately, I was wrong and ended up taking my groceries to the event). Fortunately, I made it there in time and tried to make it as least awkward as possible that I was the only person who was toting a shopping bag.

I snagged myself a good seat close to the stage and settled in for the show. And what a show it was! Not only is Libba Bray one pretty hilarious and witty woman, but Maureen Johnson, our emcee for the evening, was also there to entertain us with her wonderfully ridiculous costume, props, and comments.

Maureen Johnson & Libba Bray, in spectacular 20s attire
Maureen Johnson is not pleased with her fake cigarette 
Maureen Johnson & Libba Bray, lying on the stage

The audience was also treated to a short reading from The Diviners by actress Ella Rae Peck (think Gossip Girl) and a couple of era-appropriate musical numbers by Dandy Wellington and his Band. In short, it was quite entertaining and spectacular.

Then, on Tuesday, I went to another very fun event—one for which I even dressed up. This was a spooky middle grade event featuring Claire Legrand, Nikki Loftin, and Adam-Troy Castro.

Claire Legrand, Adam-Troy Castro, Nikki Loftin

Each author introduced his/her new book and read a small section which thoroughly creeped out the audience (at least, most of these readings creeped me out!). Then they took some questions from the audience. I asked Claire how it felt to be covered in cockroaches, since she dressed up like Mrs. Cavendish for the event. She said it was kind of gross, because the fake cockroaches were so realistic!

me in witch hat & Claire Legrand as Mrs. Cavendish, covered in fake cockroaches

I had a wonderful time meeting Nikki Loftin, getting to hear Claire read from The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls since I missed her reading at her launch party and getting to chat with her, and hanging out with my lovely boss, among others.

Also, did I mention there was candy? Though it was probably a good idea that I didn't actually eat any myself, having listened to Nikki read about the more sinister side of candy...

0 munch(es) :

Post a Comment

Let the munching begin.